Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Choosing between work or child event!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 17 Replies
I teach my first day of classes for the semester tomorrow. My last class, is co-taught by 4 faculty, I am not the course master. So this class includes our soon to be graduating students, and consists of them in practice rotation in the community during the week and ONLY 4 night classes. And of course 1 of those 4 classes is tomorrow from 5-9pm.

Ok, sorry for that long explanation, but here is my dilemma=my KGer "back to school" night is tomorrow. He is my first in school, and I am a little lost with things, activities and such, and I REALLY want to go! My DH is not organized, not detail oriented and has hearing problems, and he would have to deal with the rowdy 3 year old alone, so he's barely any help to send by himself. Soooooooooo......do I skip out on class after saying a quick hello to the students and dump on the other instructors? Or do I just miss school night and forever feel guilty and not get my questions answered. Ugh, the decisions of working moms, gotta love 'em..........
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

dump on the other teachers and go to Back To School Night.  Family comes first in my opinion.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
id probably let the co instructors know tgat you have an unexpected but unavoidable conflict and that you will be there for the initial meet and greet but will be leaving and while you are terribly sorry. it is what it is.
christyg
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I get that family comes first, but I can tell you from having 4 kids in the schools, as well as dozens and dozens of daycare kiddos ... the whole "meet and greet" is a waste of your time. Your child will LOVE it. He will find his classroom, meet his teacher, find his desk, and be done. Meanwhile, the teacher is in sensory-overload with 20+ parents (40 if both parents come) saying Hello and asking them questions about thier child. Especially in the younger grades, the poor teachers are literally swamped and unable to focus thier attention on what you are saying. 

I would let hubby take him (but get a sister for the little man if possible) and dont worry about all your questions. Over the weekend, after the teacher has had a few days to know who the kids are, send her a nice email to introduce yourslef and ask her your questions at that time.

There is no doubt that your son will come home with multiple papers of information for you to look through after his first day or two of school. All he really needs to know on the first day is where to go, where to sit, and where to put his backpack and lunch box. He can figure those out without you there if he needs to, and it will bother you 100X more than it will bother him. 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My family comes before my job. I have chosen my kids/DH many times before my job. Luckily I work for a very family friendly company and everyone else is of the same opinion. Last year, our annual investor meeting and meeting with the board of directors/auditors was on the same night as my son's school Christmas program. Work got left. They will lose out to my family every. single. time. And they know that.

Now, I will agree with christyg that the meet and greet night is pretty much a waste of time. We go to it every year simply so DS doesn't have to carry his school supplies in on the first day. But - if you feel as strongly as it sounds like, you should probably go to it.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Exactly.

Quoting calsmom62:

id probably let the co instructors know tgat you have an unexpected but unavoidable conflict and that you will be there for the initial meet and greet but will be leaving and while you are terribly sorry. it is what it is.
andrea96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Quoting christyg:

I get that family comes first, but I can tell you from having 4 kids in the schools, as well as dozens and dozens of daycare kiddos ... the whole "meet and greet" is a waste of your time. Your child will LOVE it. He will find his classroom, meet his teacher, find his desk, and be done. Meanwhile, the teacher is in sensory-overload with 20+ parents (40 if both parents come) saying Hello and asking them questions about thier child. Especially in the younger grades, the poor teachers are literally swamped and unable to focus thier attention on what you are saying. 

I would let hubby take him (but get a sister for the little man if possible) and dont worry about all your questions. Over the weekend, after the teacher has had a few days to know who the kids are, send her a nice email to introduce yourslef and ask her your questions at that time.

There is no doubt that your son will come home with multiple papers of information for you to look through after his first day or two of school. All he really needs to know on the first day is where to go, where to sit, and where to put his backpack and lunch box. He can figure those out without you there if he needs to, and it will bother you 100X more than it will bother him. 

I only have 2 kids, but this. We have "meet the teacher" tonight. My kids are excited because they get to find out who their teachers are. We usually get a folder full of info to fill out, make sure their school supplies are in their rooms, and say a quick "Hi" to the teachers. There really isn't time to ask more than one, maybe two questions of the teacher, and she is distracted by all of the other parents and students.

Our school holds parent meetings by grade during the first 2 weeks of school; that's where we find out more information.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I think I will call the school and find out the topics. He's been at school for a whole week. It sounded like tonight was to review policies and sign up for involvement, and review what we need to do as parents to support our children's academic growth, idk.......

Quoting christyg:

mickstinator
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

will your fellow instructors understand? i mean, as a working parent with her first child going into kindy as well, i can totally relate to the desire to be there (i don't trust my DH with those details either). but job responsibilities are job responsibilities. i know if i was your coursemate, i would find that a perfectly acceptable excuse to ditch class early. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Idk, they have children much, much older.

Quoting mickstinator:

will your fellow instructors understand? i mean, as a working parent with her first child going into kindy as well, i can totally relate to the desire to be there (i don't trust my DH with those details either). but job responsibilities are job responsibilities. i know if i was your coursemate, i would find that a perfectly acceptable excuse to ditch class early. 

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM

That may be a different case then. I, however, missed my daughter's, who is my oldest, kindergarten parent meeting night, because I was in graduate school, and I absolutely could not miss class. My husband couldn't go, either, so I emailed the teacher, and she told me everything I needed to know. I think it would have been better to be there in person, but I still don't feel like I missed much. Kids were not allowed, so my daughter didn't miss anything.

Quoting Marti123:

I think I will call the school and find out the topics. He's been at school for a whole week. It sounded like tonight was to review policies and sign up for involvement, and review what we need to do as parents to support our children's academic growth, idk.......

Quoting christyg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)