Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Netflix vs. Hulu vs. Amazon Prime

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm tired of paying for cable that we don't really watch so I'm looking at other options.

Anyone able to give me the pros and cons of any of these services? Amazon Prime? Netflix? Hulu? How do they compare to each other?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

We ditched cable/dish years ago.  We actually have all 3 of these.  $$ wise they're terrific at just $17/month for Netflix/Hulu combined and $79/year for Amazon Prime.  It has saved tons of $$.

HuluPlus is AWESOME for current TV shows on major networks (NBC, ABC, etc.).  So, if you miss last night's show you can see it today on Hulu.  Hulu SUCKS for movies.

Netflix is great for watching older shows - all of the complete seasons - I've seen shows I never would have any other way as I didn't watch when they were on TV.  They have lots of good things for the kids, too and of course lots of movies.  Unfortunately, they appear to be having licensing issues and their selection is getting more limited but I still enjoy it and will keep it.  I only do streaming - not DVD.  DVD options provide more selection I understand.

Amazon Prime is, in my opinion, very similar to Netflix but has a greater selection.

I enjoy all three :)

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I have Netflix streaming, and also Amazon Prime but I haven't really used Amazon like I should. I spent years without cable and Netflix filled in just fine.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM

We have both Netflix and Prime, altho we use prime mostly for the prime shipping, the borrowing books and streaming video is just a bonus. But I think we use Netflix more, even on the Kindles, because it's ALL Free versus only some of it on Amazon. I haven't looked recently, but at one point in time, you couldn't ask for just free stuff to show, they may have changed it, but I don't particularly want my daughter picking things I'll get charged for. and netflix on some platforms has "kids only" versus the whole selection, so that's nice. But paying for all three options to get the greatest variety is still cheaper than any cable I've ever had, even when we had basic extended (not digital) for $25 a month! Our cable just went up $8 a month for no good reason, I'm annoyed to say the least, but we watch SO much that the other services don't offer, and sports, DH would DIE without his sports channels.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

So, with Amazon Prime, you pay to receive the service, but then you also have to pay in order to watch a lot of the tv shows and movies?

Quoting Marz31:

We have both Netflix and Prime, altho we use prime mostly for the prime shipping, the borrowing books and streaming video is just a bonus. But I think we use Netflix more, even on the Kindles, because it's ALL Free versus only some of it on Amazon. I haven't looked recently, but at one point in time, you couldn't ask for just free stuff to show, they may have changed it, but I don't particularly want my daughter picking things I'll get charged for. and netflix on some platforms has "kids only" versus the whole selection, so that's nice. But paying for all three options to get the greatest variety is still cheaper than any cable I've ever had, even when we had basic extended (not digital) for $25 a month! Our cable just went up $8 a month for no good reason, I'm annoyed to say the least, but we watch SO much that the other services don't offer, and sports, DH would DIE without his sports channels.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I love netflix. It has great variety. We especially enjoy documentaries and educational shows and they have far more options than I could ever keep up with. The downside is that they do not get all the network shows and don't get any network/cable shows very fast after they are released. 

My sister has all three. She says she uses HuluPlus the most, mainly because they have better, more updated variety of cable and network shows. Apparently Amazon Prime has very little to offer in the way of shows and is mostly redundant when paired with Netflix or HuluPlus, but it obviously has other benefits to consider as well.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Quoting adamsmom0116:

So, with Amazon Prime, you pay to receive the service, but then you also have to pay in order to watch a lot of the tv shows and movies?

Quoting Marz31:

I don't know what the ratio is, but there are a lot of rentals available, and they may have a way to separate them now, I don't know. but basically, the service is available for anyone, but with prime, there's a large portion you can watch for free, so that's how it works.
faeryfrog
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Exactly this.

We watch hulu the most, use Amazon mostly for renting movies and Netflix for kids shows

Quoting the3Rs:

We ditched cable/dish years ago.  We actually have all 3 of these.  $$ wise they're terrific at just $17/month for Netflix/Hulu combined and $79/year for Amazon Prime.  It has saved tons of $$.

HuluPlus is AWESOME for current TV shows on major networks (NBC, ABC, etc.).  So, if you miss last night's show you can see it today on Hulu.  Hulu SUCKS for movies.

Netflix is great for watching older shows - all of the complete seasons - I've seen shows I never would have any other way as I didn't watch when they were on TV.  They have lots of good things for the kids, too and of course lots of movies.  Unfortunately, they appear to be having licensing issues and their selection is getting more limited but I still enjoy it and will keep it.  I only do streaming - not DVD.  DVD options provide more selection I understand.

Amazon Prime is, in my opinion, very similar to Netflix but has a greater selection.

I enjoy all three :)

funhappymom
by Marie on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

We have Prime-which I really love for the free 2 day shipping and free once a month book loans.

We also have netflix that the kids watch a lot of. Netflix now has where you can set up to 5 different profiles on one acct and you can make the kids 12 and under so they can't get into the adult stuff. My kids are mad because I did that for theirs and now they can't watch the Transformers movies, lol. Although if they went into my account or DH's acct they could because they're not password protected, lol.

We've considered getting rid of satellite and if we would, we'd probably do the HuluPlus just so we can still watch our shows but we'd miss things like football in the fall so I'm not sure yet.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
We bought a digital indoor antennae for about $40-50 which we use to pick up local stations - and that way we get our football :)

Quoting funhappymom:

We have Prime-which I really love for the free 2 day shipping and free once a month book loans.

We also have netflix that the kids watch a lot of. Netflix now has where you can set up to 5 different profiles on one acct and you can make the kids 12 and under so they can't get into the adult stuff. My kids are mad because I did that for theirs and now they can't watch the Transformers movies, lol. Although if they went into my account or DH's acct they could because they're not password protected, lol.

We've considered getting rid of satellite and if we would, we'd probably do the HuluPlus just so we can still watch our shows but we'd miss things like football in the fall so I'm not sure yet.

funhappymom
by Marie on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I've heard that they work pretty good. We tried one last year, I think it was and weren't impressed with it but I'm pretty sure we got a cheapo. It might be something to think about though. The $85 satellite bill gets pretty expensive especially considering how little we really watch tv and how much is available elsewhere.

Quoting the3Rs:

We bought a digital indoor antennae for about $40-50 which we use to pick up local stations - and that way we get our football :)

Quoting funhappymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)