Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

OMG!!!! Really????

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

So, after showing my husband our spending analysis for the last 3 months to PROVE that it wasn't the fact that my paychecks going from monthly to bi-weekly WAS NOT the reason why we haven't been saving.  I showed him that 1/3 our spending was on groceries and eating out.  How does that happen??  DH likes to go shopping daily.  He likes to pick up his tall boy that day along with food he thinks we need.  He is easily spending anywhere between $30-50 each time.  On top of that, we have been opting to eat out instead of just make something after practice or games. 

Anyways, I told him that we need to shop once a week for food and I will go to costco for those items that we can get in bulk.  IF we need something here and there, let's get ONLY that.  Not extra things like chips.  He agreed.  We haven't set ourselves with a specific dollar amount yet....that will come next.

I also said let's designate Friday nights for our eating out days and weekends when its necessary. 

Well, it's like an itch for him.....he kept wanting to go to the store for something and I would say "we've got that already" or "we don't need it".  He can go ahead and get his tall boy with his own little personal money we each keep for ourselves....just don't tap into the joint checking for more food.  He just likes to shop and it's driving me nuts.

On top of that, he asked TWICE this week to get something from a fast food place.  OMG!  Then he is home already (I was at my daugther's practice still) and I insisted we had food so we didn't need to eat out, he said, "well, I guess I'll wait until you get home so you can make it."  How immature!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Sounds like he's having a really hard time adjusting! Hopefully it will get easier as he gets more and more used to it.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Adjusting your budget can be tough. There are things dh just wouldn't drop so we dropped other things to make up for it. We dropped cable so he could still justify some beer. Is there anything hes willing to give up to get an extra night out? I can tell you that after pretty much giving up all fast food for the past two years it doesn't even sound good anymore. I would rather have a pbj at home
leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

hopefully it's something that he will just get used to. stand your ground! my co-worker is ALWAYS bitching about her husband spending all their money on crap he doesn't need and it's because she ALWAYS gives in.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Stick to your guns on this. As time goes on and the changes set in it will hopefully get easier for him. Try using the crockpot on days you know you won't be home to cook dinner. It's great for eveningss you have work or the kids have practice. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I've gotten some really great recipes from friends and family.  I can't wait to try.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Stick to your guns on this. As time goes on and the changes set in it will hopefully get easier for him. Try using the crockpot on days you know you won't be home to cook dinner. It's great for eveningss you have work or the kids have practice. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I struggle with similar issues with my DH!
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:21 AM
He loves spending money and loves complaining that we are not saving money.

Quoting Marti123:

CampClan
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Is there a website or something you used for the spending analysis? Is it linked to your bank account or what? Just curious as to how it works.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM
DH does not complain, but he does have an odd compulsion to shop for food. We keep our finances fairly separate.

Quoting M4LG5:

He loves spending money and loves complaining that we are not saving money.

Quoting Marti123:

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
We bank with Bank of America and its one of the tools to use to see everything.

Quoting CampClan:

Is there a website or something you used for the spending analysis? Is it linked to your bank account or what? Just curious as to how it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN