Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Food shaming? Has anyone had this experience?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was food shamed at a birthday party yesterday. The mom I was sitting with is "dairy free, gluten free, no sugar, or processed foods" for her kids. While I don't judge or don't care what she feeds her kids. She proceeded to try to make me feel bad because there was nothing at the party I told my kids they couldn't eat -  sprite, chips, hot dogs, cake, ice cream, fruit and dip ect.

I was told that I am not teaching my kids good eating habits, when I got the opportunity to sit some where else I did. 

I don't judge because of the way she feeds her kids, but she was Very judgmental on the way I feed mine. 

I don't understand trying to make someone else feel bad because you disagree with whatever choices that they make. I think we are all trying to do the best we can. 

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
christaberk
by Christa on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:11 AM
My kids eat what they want when we are out. I cook healthy, balanced meals at home 6 days a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM
This has never happened to me.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't personally, but a friend of ours did during her own kid's birthday party.  They had a party at a local park at the environmental center and because it's was small and there is no kitchen or anything, they wanted to serve something quick and easy.  What they did was they had a place setting set up for each child with a plate and utensils and a juice box at each setting.  They served cut up veggies, but also some chips and pizza.  I sat across two of her friends with their kids, who proceeded to tear apart EVERYTHING.  Their kids reached for the juice box and they flipped out saying "I don't think so..that is disgusting and how dare she even serve juice boxes to my kids...I can't believe the garbage...my kids will NEVER eat any of that..." and on and on they went as their two kids were begging for food and drink.

We're a health-conscious family, but we are also practical and exercise moderation.  I think it was really sad that these kids were begging to eat like everyone else and their mothers, who considered themselves friends to the host and hostess, were ripping them a new one within earshot of other friends and even family.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

i am always paranoid of people acting like that with my kids. they eat pretty healthy at home, but i am pretty lax at special occasions, like a birthday party. i haven't been directly shamed for their eating habits.

Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I think she's got a lot of nerve to criticize.  That's what you are supposed to have at a party, soda chips, hot dogs etc.  I'm so sick of those parents who are gluten free, fat free, etc.  Its all a bunch of junk.  We all did fine back in the 80's with all of that stuff.  Let kids be kids. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

It was a party.  In moderation, just about anything is fine.  I try not to judge others, at least out loud, and have only had a few people judge me, usually random strangers.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We have two vegans at work, and one especially who will lecture anybody and everybody about what they are putting into their mouth.

My daughter drinks cokes and eats cheetos - if somebody doesn't agree oh well. It's none of their business what I allow her to eat.

Diane1223
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM
She should have accepted your choices.
DawnPratt23
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I ignore people like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysp6637
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't you love how that works?  She's probably one of those ones who would scream and cry if someone judged her...but has NO problem making judgement calls on others. 

How wonderful that her precious snowflake doesn't eat that....I had friends growing up with moms like that...and when their moms weren't around they gorged themselves on EVERY no-no food in sight.  Consequently, a few of them had weight issues.  Mommy can't be around 24-7. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)