Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Food shaming? Has anyone had this experience?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was food shamed at a birthday party yesterday. The mom I was sitting with is "dairy free, gluten free, no sugar, or processed foods" for her kids. While I don't judge or don't care what she feeds her kids. She proceeded to try to make me feel bad because there was nothing at the party I told my kids they couldn't eat -  sprite, chips, hot dogs, cake, ice cream, fruit and dip ect.

I was told that I am not teaching my kids good eating habits, when I got the opportunity to sit some where else I did. 

I don't judge because of the way she feeds her kids, but she was Very judgmental on the way I feed mine. 

I don't understand trying to make someone else feel bad because you disagree with whatever choices that they make. I think we are all trying to do the best we can. 

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM
so really you put the WIC qualifier in to indicate they receive a form of assistance. the only issue I have with WiC is that recipients don't seem to be properly informed about what exactly they can buy with the vouchers because frequently when in line behind them at the grocery store the clerk is having to point out what is and isn't an allowed product.

Quoting preacherskid:

No but you get almost twice as much milk as any normal family will go through in a month.

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Yah . Im curious if it is different too :)

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Is wic milk different then regular milk?

Quoting DeeMD82:

My cousin acts all high and mighty because I let my dd drink yahoo, tea,  and other stuff and he only lets his kids drink water or WIC milk.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Next time that happens smile and tell her what concerns you most about raising your children is Alien mind control waves and how difficult it is to get them to sleep well while wearing their tinfoil wave blocking helmets. That should make HER move to the other side of the room.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting calsmom62:

Next time that happens smile and tell her what concerns you most about raising your children is Alien mind control waves and how difficult it is to get them to sleep well while wearing their tinfoil wave blocking helmets. That should make HER move to the other side of the room.

This.  I vote this.  Lol

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

The kids in the original comment probably only drink water or milk because that is all they have.  We get WIC, I make sure to check their constantly updated list of covered foods because there is nothing worse than having one thing say it is covered and you get to the register and it isn't :P  Sometimes the store mislabels items too.  One of many reasons I avoid our Walmart- our local Walmart has mislabeled items as WIC items many times, or WIC as non WIC.

Quoting calsmom62:

so really you put the WIC qualifier in to indicate they receive a form of assistance. the only issue I have with WiC is that recipients don't seem to be properly informed about what exactly they can buy with the vouchers because frequently when in line behind them at the grocery store the clerk is having to point out what is and isn't an allowed product.

Quoting preacherskid:

No but you get almost twice as much milk as any normal family will go through in a month.

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

My cousin acts all high and mighty because I let my dd drink yahoo, tea,  and other stuff and he only lets his kids drink water or WIC milk.

CafeMom Tickers
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
i ve seen the shelf labels too indicating a wic label. and am sure the labels are like other shelf labels, subject to human error!! i think in MA you dont even have to show proof of income. if you are pregnant or child is under 2. like our state medical care. absolutely free fir pregnant women no income questions asked. Seems like a very good idea.

Quoting preacherskid:

The kids in the original comment probably only drink water or milk because that is all they have.  We get WIC, I make sure to check their constantly updated list of covered foods because there is nothing worse than having one thing say it is covered and you get to the register and it isn't :P  Sometimes the store mislabels items too.  One of many reasons I avoid our Walmart- our local Walmart has mislabeled items as WIC items many times, or WIC as non WIC.

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

Daisyducc
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

While I don't keep all those things in my house, if my three year old is at a party, I don't say no to her, either.  She knows there are everyday foods and treats, and a birthday party qualifies as a treat day.

I don't understand why anyone, ever, has the balls to talk a out what goes in anyone else's mouth.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

In MO you have to meet income or nutritional risk guidelines.  I do have to verify my income with my ODD who is the nutritional risk (food allergy puts her "at risk") turning five this year.  I'll be glad when both are off- the only benefit right now is it pays for our soymilk, which costs about three bucks for a half gallon.

Quoting calsmom62:

i ve seen the shelf labels too indicating a wic label. and am sure the labels are like other shelf labels, subject to human error!! i think in MA you dont even have to show proof of income. if you are pregnant or child is under 2. like our state medical care. absolutely free fir pregnant women no income questions asked. Seems like a very good idea.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

CafeMom Tickers
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM
thats great it pays for allergy related milk too

Quoting preacherskid:

In MO you have to meet income or nutritional risk guidelines.  I do have to verify my income with my ODD who is the nutritional risk (food allergy puts her "at risk") turning five this year.  I'll be glad when both are off- the only benefit right now is it pays for our soymilk, which costs about three bucks for a half gallon.

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting BabyBearsMom608:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting DeeMD82:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Only soymilk, and only with doctor's approval.  Soymilk is easily twice the cost of cow's milk, and I live in a low cost of living/low grocery cost area.

Quoting calsmom62:

CafeMom Tickers
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM
yeah but its high everywhere. its one of the charge whatever we want products lol. .

Quoting preacherskid:

Only soymilk, and only with doctor's approval.  Soymilk is easily twice the cost of cow's milk, and I live in a low cost of living/low grocery cost area.

Quoting calsmom62:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN