Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Don't like rules?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 8 Replies

Have you ever fought to have a rule changed?

If so, when?

If not, why?  Is there nothing you were that passionate about?  Or do you just not want to stir the pot?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I have.  In elementary, we weren't allowed to wear shorts, at all, regardless of length.  So a bunch of kids (4th and 5th grade, mostly) got together and started a petition drive.  We got a lot of signatures, from parents, teachers, the community.  The school board listened and we were allowed to wear shorts, within limits.

In high school, my class was getting a raw deal on a specific issue.  There was a walkout planned since our voices were not being heard.  My mother forbade me form participating in the walkout.  Which I agreed to.  We had discussed proper ways of creating change, and I felt there were more options to explore before a walkout.  News stations were notified and were going to be there.  The administration ended up caving in and giving our class what was wanted.

We had a teacher (in 10th grade) that was very inappropriate.  We, once again, started petitions to get this teacher removed.  We also made many complaints to other teachers, the principal, the district office.  We weren't heard at that time, but a couple years later, he was fired for inappropriate behavior.

Yes, my class was an activist class.  Yes, we were probably a pain to deal with (for other reasons as well, we went down as the hardest class in the school's history), but we got things done.  We learned how to make change.  We learned that our voices have power!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I can't think of anything I felt that strongly about.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We were not allowed to wear sandals at all during Spirit Week in high school, the only time in the whole year we could wear casual clothes instead of our uniforms. We petitioned the headmaster, who let the rule slide. It was mainly just one teacher enforcing the rule this way, having basically misunderstood the actual rule, which was no flip-flops. 

Another time in high school, my biology teacher deducted points from the entire class' final because one person had played a prank on him and no one fessed up. Most all of us genuinely had no clue who the heck did it, so we did not appreciate losing points for something we had no part in. My mom was another teacher at the school and gave him a lecture that would intimidate anyone. Our points were reinstated. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Besides assisting in some very basic involvement political support & lobbying to increase independent practice by NP's on a state level, which ended miserably, now I am not that engaged.
mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I forgot that I am attending a gay pride parade in a couple of weeks. I've been wanting to get involved in political activism for marriage equality for a while. So far, I've only ever donated money; I am at least happy to be supporting the cause with my presence at this event even if it isn't explicitly activism.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM

But it is using your voice to change something you feel isn't right. 

Quoting mickstinator:

I forgot that I am attending a gay pride parade in a couple of weeks. I've been wanting to get involved in political activism for marriage equality for a while. So far, I've only ever donated money; I am at least happy to be supporting the cause with my presence at this event even if it isn't explicitly activism.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Yes, and I'm really exciting to be attending! Love is love!

Quoting deccaf:

But it is using your voice to change something you feel isn't right. 

Quoting mickstinator:

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I never have. It's usually because I don't want to stir the pot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN