Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

15 new words added to Merriam-Webster dictionary-how many have you heard of?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 9 Replies

Twerking: Dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance.

Phablet: A smartphone having a screen which is intermediate in size between that of a typical smartphone and a tablet computer.

Derp: used as a substitute for speech regarded as meaningless or stupid or to comment on a foolish or stupid action.

Selfie: A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.

Squee: used to express great delight or excitement.

Srsly: short for seriously.

Vom: be sick; vomit.

Jorts: denim shorts.

Bitcoin: a digital currency in which transactions can be performed without the need for a central bank.

Food Baby: a protruding stomach caused by eating a large quantity of food and supposedly resembling that of a woman in the early stages of pregnancy.

Girl Crush: an intense and typically non-sexual liking or admiration felt by one woman or girl for another.

Fauxhawk: a hairstyle in which a section of hair running from the front to the back of the head stands erect, intended to resemble a Mohican haircut (in which the sides of the head are shaved).

Emoji: a small digital image or icon used to express an idea or emotion in electronic communication.

Fomo: anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.

I have to admit there are a few I never heard of. What about you?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Um, wow.  I thought that Merriam-Webster was supposed to be for formal definitions.  Can't Urban Dictionary handle slang?  I get Emoji and Selfie being on there as those are actual words to describe a THING, not slang for something else.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm scared for the English language right now

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I"ve heard of all of these, but I'm surprised that some weren't in there yet and others are actually being added already. Fauxhawk has been a term around since I was a kid, but seriously, why was srsly added? Is 'u' defined as 'you' as well, because the logic is pretty similar.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deccaf:

Um, wow.  I thought that Merriam-Webster was supposed to be for formal definitions.  Can't Urban Dictionary handle slang?  I get Emoji and Selfie being on there as those are actual words to describe a THING, not slang for something else.

I think they've recently gotten lax on what words they are formally introducing, but slang terms have been added (and removed) since forever. Lots and lots of words were once considered 'slang' and are now a formal word, thanks to the word's popularity at any given period. 

Shakespeare's contributions to the English language, for example, is rather expansive. 

dmom27
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Ditto

Quoting leahbeah143:

I'm scared for the English language right now

Marz31
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

is it really hard to say jean shorts? do we have to shorten EVERYTHING? 

I've never heard fomo tho, I can't say I really get that one AT ALL. I'm old

kikibix
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I have heard of 8 of those.  Can't say I like most of those and don't think they deserve to be recognized as real words.

christaberk
by Christa on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I've jheard of them all. Sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I've heard of twerking, girl crush, fauxhawk, and selfie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)