Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What Would You Do?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 26 Replies

I work as a secretary for a local school district 4 hours a day. I have what they consider a 206 day a year position. It's a decent paying job, but with only 4 hours, nothing fantastic. I recently tried a secretarial position at the high school level and did not like it and since I am in the union, was allowed to go back to my old position. I work for an elementary school.

Now there is a position at the Administration Building for a secretary in Special Education. I am afraid to try it because it requires working on a spreadsheet of which I am not good at and have not ever had to use one. The personnel director assured me that they would and could train me. We really need the money and it would be a huge pay raise. Would you try the job? I have a ten day period when I can decide if I like it or not. I am just worried that if I don't like the job and go back to my old one I will really be embarassed.  Should I give it a try? What would you do?

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I say give it a shot!  It's a step up and you shouldn't feel discouraged because you don't really work on spreadsheets - especially since they have assured you that they would and could train you.  No one who first works with spreadsheets is really good at it, but it's one of those things that in order to really learn it you just have to do it.  The fact that they've already told you that they will teach you is a boon.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM

do it!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Give it a shot.  Excel isn't really hard to learn, especially if you have a good teacher.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Definitely go for it!
MinglingMom
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others and say go for it. Spreadsheets are worth learning and anymore, they have built in guides if you have trouble. :)

mickstinator
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I would definitely try it! It could be one of the best decisions you make. : )

Marz31
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Give it a shot. you have to learn somewhere! 

kellysp6637
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

If spreadsheets are the only thing holding you back...I say GO FOR IT!  You will kick yourself if you don't and spreadsheets are EXTREMELY easy.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Absolutely give it a try~ good luck!

lancet98
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Oh for heaven's sake.   There are free classes online to teach you how to do spreadsheets.   And there are books at the library.   Don't sit back passively and wait til the school trains you - start practicing and learning now.  

There are VERY few decent jobs you can get without knowing how to do spread sheets!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN