Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I work as a secretary for a local school district 4 hours a day. I have what they consider a 206 day a year position. It's a decent paying job, but with only 4 hours, nothing fantastic. I recently tried a secretarial position at the high school level and did not like it and since I am in the union, was allowed to go back to my old position. I work for an elementary school.

Now there is a position at the Administration Building for a secretary in Special Education. I am afraid to try it because it requires working on a spreadsheet of which I am not good at and have not ever had to use one. The personnel director assured me that they would and could train me. We really need the money and it would be a huge pay raise. Would you try the job? I have a ten day period when I can decide if I like it or not. I am just worried that if I don't like the job and go back to my old one I will really be embarassed.  Should I give it a try? What would you do?

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
Daisyducc
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I would give it a shot.  You're trying to grow professionally and better provide for your family..no shame in that!

defineyou
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, You're obviously a thoughtful woman. You're doing an evaluation of your opportunities. I think it would be a good idea to weigh the difference between the two:

1. Stay at my current job.

2. Test out a new job with a new skill. With the possibility of determining that I don't like it.

So, you're weighing comfort against opportunity. It's your gift to have the option to decide which is your higher value.

WIth love, Amanda

http://defineyourspirit.com/my-business/

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM
why don't you at home take a quick tutorial at home on excel or have a friend who is more knowledgeable set up a sample template for you and then you practice some common tasks like creating tables etc. its really a matter of getting comfortable with and there are tutorials on line for practically every excel issue
strongerwtime
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:10 PM

YES YES and YES! You gotta stretch yourself! Do not be afraid!

dmom27
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM

You will regret it if you don't.  Go for it!!!!

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Why didn't you like the high school position? At some point you will need to leave your comfort zone if you want to advance in your career or salary. Take your learning into your own hands and go for it!
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
This. And then take the job. The only regrets are the opportunites you dont take

Quoting calsmom62:

why don't you at home take a quick tutorial at home on excel or have a friend who is more knowledgeable set up a sample template for you and then you practice some common tasks like creating tables etc. its really a matter of getting comfortable with and there are tutorials on line for practically every excel issue
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
i agree totally. get out of your comfort zone and you will grow.

Quoting Nighttiger:

This. And then take the job. The only regrets are the opportunites you dont take

Quoting calsmom62:

flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Go for it!!!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I think you should try it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)