Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I work as a secretary for a local school district 4 hours a day. I have what they consider a 206 day a year position. It's a decent paying job, but with only 4 hours, nothing fantastic. I recently tried a secretarial position at the high school level and did not like it and since I am in the union, was allowed to go back to my old position. I work for an elementary school.

Now there is a position at the Administration Building for a secretary in Special Education. I am afraid to try it because it requires working on a spreadsheet of which I am not good at and have not ever had to use one. The personnel director assured me that they would and could train me. We really need the money and it would be a huge pay raise. Would you try the job? I have a ten day period when I can decide if I like it or not. I am just worried that if I don't like the job and go back to my old one I will really be embarassed.  Should I give it a try? What would you do?

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Replies (21-26):
3mom627
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I applied for the job and printed out some tutorials on Excel. I did not like the high school position because the rules changed daily. 

3MOM627

have a nice day

christaberk
by Christa on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diane1223
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Yes, I would
cali_gurl
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Huge pay raise??? No brainer. YES. Especially if they will train you on whatever you need to learn. Unless you absolutely LOVE your current job and never want to leave. Good luck.

christaberk
by Christa on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Have you heard anything?

Quoting 3mom627:

I applied for the job and printed out some tutorials on Excel. I did not like the high school position because the rules changed daily. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mom627
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Regretfully, the job was given to someone with more seniority. I have applied for her job, but will not know whether I got it or not due to some stupid union rules about what they call arena bidding. I am not quite sure what this is or why it needs to be done, but I should be receiving a letter in the mail explaining it soon.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)