Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Do you think "honesty is the best policy"? Why or why not?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 11 Replies

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I think as long as it is not "brutal" honesty. I think that lies are always discovered in the end. But there is always a tactful way to say things. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yes.  Too many things get complicated and go wrong when we lie.

lancet98
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Honesty is the best policy, but using that as an excuse to be brutal, or to tell a partial truth - no.

In one of Peter Seller's Inspector Cluseau movies he sees a dog at a counter and asks the inn keeper, 'Does your dog bite?'   The innkeeper says no.    So Inspector C. pets the dog.   The dog bites him.  

He says, 'I thought you said your dog doesn't bite'.

The innkeeper looks at him and says, 'That is not my dog'.

So he didn't lie, he was honest, but he didn't provide the information the person needed.

In that sense, JUST being honest is often insufficient.   The person needs to be given all the relevant information.

So JUST being honest is not enough.

Daisyducc
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Honesty is best, but I agree it goes not mean running your mouth and sharing "your truth" without prompting.  So,etimes it's better to say nothing, too...especially if you are going to be hurtful for no reason,

mickstinator
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Honesty? yes. Tactless over sharing of opinions? No.
christaberk
by Christa on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM
It depends. If someone asks me what I think of my new boss, it would be best of I were less than honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkeymama930
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Yes it's like I tell the kids in my class if you don't tell the truth about the small stuff then no one believes you about the big stuff.
Marz31
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

It's a gray topic. I've been totally honest before and it's bit me in the butt, but I've not been honest and gotten further ahead, it's awful if you ask me, but sometimes you just have to play the game :\

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I think it depends on the circumstances. In a personal relationship honesty is the best policy, but not lways at work.

KW1280
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM
This

Quoting Daisyducc:

Honesty is best, but I agree it goes not mean running your mouth and sharing "your truth" without prompting.  So,etimes it's better to say nothing, too...especially if you are going to be hurtful for no reason,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)