Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Divergent/Insurgent

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 34 Replies

has anyone read Divergent or Insurgent by Veronica Roth? I read them both over this last week and they were good!

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

No, I haven't.  Quick review? 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Here is the Amazon overview for Divergent, which is book 1

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

That sounds good!  I think I will have to get them.

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting deccaf:

Here is the Amazon overview for Divergent, which is book 1

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

It's only $3.99 for my NOOK!!!

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Yes. I loved them! The next book in the series is supposed to be out soon.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quoting andrea96:

Yes. I loved them! The next book in the series is supposed to be out soon.

I saw that! I can't wait!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting deccaf:

It's only $3.99 for my NOOK!!!

Lol I saw $3.99 for Kindle too! My mom probably spent way more than that buying the actual books

Marz31
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Loved them both, anxious for Allegiant that comes out next month and the movie for the first book in March of next year. TOTAL Divergent nerd here :D

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Quoting Marz31:

Loved them both, anxious for Allegiant that comes out next month and the movie for the first book in March of next year. TOTAL Divergent nerd here :D

Can't wait to see the movie!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I loved the first book!  I read it so fast!  I am now getting Insurgent.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)