Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

School supplies shopping

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

I told DD we would wait until after school started this year because the only list online was generic for all jr high kids. I wanted to know what each teacher wanted because I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of stuff we would need. Most of it is pretty basic- composition notebooks, notebook and graph paper, things like that. Then there's the $100 freakin calculator that her math teacher is requiring. That one might have to wait til payday.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Ouch, that is pricey!! Hopefully it will last through all high school math classes!
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

That one should take her through at least a few college math classes.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

that's what I'm hoping, that's assuming she doesn't lose it before then lol

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Yup. Our high school required that as well. My suggestion is dont go cheap. My dad tried to buy me something equivalent but cheaper and ended up having to buy the right one a year later. That was in 1995. I still have that calculator and it took me through an engineering degree. If its a TI go for the 85. Last I knew the 92 is banned on sat/act exams but you can check and see if thats still true
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting Nighttiger:

Yup. Our high school required that as well. My suggestion is dont go cheap. My dad tried to buy me something equivalent but cheaper and ended up having to buy the right one a year later. That was in 1995. I still have that calculator and it took me through an engineering degree. If its a TI go for the 85. Last I knew the 92 is banned on sat/act exams but you can check and see if thats still true

She is requiring the TI 85 or 83 I think

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I should have said 89. We were required to have an 83. I ended up getting an 85 but I did but myself an 89 for college because they are more powerful. They have been around so long that if you are worried about her losing it you could probably get a used one off ebay cl or even from her school.

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting Nighttiger:

She is requiring the TI 85 or 83 I think

flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I had to get one of those calculators too. I remember we playing Tetris on it A LOT lol
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Those calculators are so expensive. I remember needing one for high school.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM
depending on where you live you might try asking on freecycle. alot of kids get them in high school and then they lie around the house after they go to college .. maybe an empty nester still has one at home. o saw lits if them trading hands on freecycle and a local neighborhood group online this yr. even if they want 30.00 its better than $100
1kidmomajm
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM

My sons school specifically says do not buy expensive ones. I got my son a $13 one that has all the same functions. The teacher is ridiculous to expect that parents can afford that. No one as stood up to that over the years apparently. I would be that parent. That is just wrong for middle school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)