Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

School Age Friends...and their parents

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 4 Replies

So up until this point, I have been friends with all of my son's friends the he sees outside of daycare. Well, now we are in kindgergarten and there are a couple kids in our neighborhood who we have gotten to know and our boys sit next to each other at school. At first I thought "wow, I am really different from these parents" and I decided that was OK, I didn't need to like them, I just needed them to watch my son in a safe environment while my son played. 

Then, we all had dinner together and a really nice evening. Fun stuff. I though that maybe I was too quick to judge.

Today our families had plans to go to the homecoming parade. They sent me a text at 10:45pm saying no, they weren't coming. They were just putting the kids to bed and were going to sleep in. OK, fine. But I thought we had plans. My KIDS thought we had plans and you didn't act accordingly on Friday night to keep your plans on Saturday. So now I"m back to "maybe we don't need to be friends with the parents" because if we had made plans for a parade on Saturday with folks, we would keep them (unless someone was sick or something) and would have adjusted Friday night accordingly. I think I'm more upset because my kids are disappointed that friends aren't coming with us- but there will still be candy, so all is well!

How do you navigate school friends and their parents?  Any tips?  Do you like all of the parents of your child's friends?

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daisyducc
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I try not to let other people's choices affect us so much.  Sure, my daughter may be disappointed, but that happens some times, and she is very adaptable.  I have my own set of friends, and haven't really made friends with her friends parents.  Most of them don't work, and our schedules don't really allow for doing a lot of things together.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
take your kids and have fun. if the other family bugs out again then you can be sure to have plans that are like jello with them. no real firm or substance. " gee Suzy and I are going to the Common for town day, btw 10 and 12. if you and Lucy are there they can play for a bit". and if they don't show up they dont show up. your kid still had fun.

Quoting Daisyducc:

I try not to let other people's choices affect us so much.  Sure, my daughter may be disappointed, but that happens some times, and she is very adaptable.  I have my own set of friends, and haven't really made friends with her friends parents.  Most of them don't work, and our schedules don't really allow for doing a lot of things together.

LIMom1105
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Oh I hate when people flake out. My son gets so disappointed and takes it personally.  If I don't know the parents well, I don't tell him about the playdate/get-together until not too long before it happens. We've had this happen often enough now, and I don't get it.  Emergencies come up yes, but just "we made other plans," is annoying. If I make plans I generally keep them unless someone is sick, so I just don't get it.

No, I don't like all the parents of my child's friends, but as long as they are decent people and our kids get along, that's fine.  I agree though, just go to the Homecoming event anyway. Your kids will enjoy it.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I am polite, friendly but beyond that, I am probably the mom others are posting about....I avoid scheduling planned events with other parents a lot. We are so busy. But I do not cancel plans IF I make them.

I am not Good friends with too many other parents yet, but I think after #3 arrives, I will make more effort. I have intentions to slow things down professionally and hopefully I will have more time for dinner parties and play dates.

Also, with school, Y care, soccer, math tutoring classes, I am realizing it is impossible to really know all my son's friends/acquaintances and hence their parents as he gets older. It's a little scary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN