Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you shop for Christmas gifts?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM
  • 18 Replies

GMA had a story this morning about Kmart's latest layaway commercial geared towards Christmas. Some are complaining it's too early for Christmas commercials.

They also mentioned in order to get the best deal it's best to wait until the weekend before Christmas.

What do you think? Is it too early to start thinking about using layaway for Christmas gifts? Do you wait to get the best deals?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by Marie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I've already started shopping for Christmas. I think you are crazy if you wait until the weekend before to shop for the best deals, lol. I've also worked retail for a number of years and know that if you wait, you are going to miss out on a lot of stuff, especially must have items for kids.

I think if you need to use layaway, now is a good time to start using it. You get the best selection and can make payments and not need to use the credit cards.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I have already started shopping for Christmas gifts. I'm about halfway finished with ds, got all his stuff for 70% off at Target. I have a bunch of perfumes and stuff that I got on clearance after last christmas. Plus I work near an outlet so I stop in once in a while to check out Coach, Vera Bradley, and Bath and Body Works to see if they have any amazing deals.

MariannLws
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I shop thru out the year for Christmas. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I agree. You couldn't pay me to step foot in a store the week before Christmas.

Quoting funhappymom:

I think you are crazy if you wait until the weekend before to shop for the best deals, lol.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I also want to add that the first night of Hanukkah is on Thanksgiving this year. So waiting that last really isn't an option.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I try to get it done no later than the middle of December just so I'm not scrambling around trying to figure out what to get people.

smorgan865
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I shop all year for good finds. I would NEVER wait until the weekend before, OMG. Basically it's like I didn't spend much money because it's all incorporated into our monthly budget.I have to find better places to put the stuff at home though. lol My oldest is 4 1/2 and he's very observant.

However, I do agree it's FAR to early for Christmas commercials and/or decorations.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Depends on what it is. if it's going to be the hottest thing this season, better to get it early and maybe pay a tiny bit more, buf if it's just random goodness that'll go on super sale a week before, wait.  We do Christmas with my family in January/February, so yeah, I wait until AFTER the holiday for the best sales ;)

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I buy stuff all year if I see something for someone. Otherwise in November
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Usually nov, but this year started early.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)