Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

After School Activities

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

Now that I have more flexibility at work I was determined to be more involved with my kids' schools and events.  I still don't get home until 5:30p to 6p, but I figure I could do more.

My older son's school (middle school) has a great program where they have a set of buses that takes kids home late if they participate in after-school activities.  I thought that was awesome so I encouraged him to find a group he wanted to be in.  So of course he picks the one group that happens after the late buses leave and requires major participation from parents: The Robotics Club.

This would be so awesome for him, but it means I'd have to not only get him up to school every Tuesday evening by 6p, but also stay for the entire practice (60-90 minutes).  The parents are supposed to coordinate fund-raising for the group, transportation to competitions, decorate our spot at competitions, create and pay for give-aways (buttons or t-shirts) at competitions and stuff like that.  Competitions are always on Saturdays which is fine for me...I never work weekends...but they could be anywhere in the bi-state area.  Also, since DH works a variable schedule that means dragging my younger son to practices and competitions whenever DH isn't available to watch him.

I really want him to do this...it would be so good for him and really play to his strengths.  I'm just not sure I can make this commitment and I feel horrible about it.  I'm not sure which is worse in this case: trying and failing or not trying at all.

What do you think?  Are your kids in after school activities?  How do you manage?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

This is the first year DD has shown any interest in school activities. She is in 9th grade and in jr high, but 9th graders are allowed to join high school sports teams. So she chose to do swim team, which I am so proud of her for getting involved. BUT, practice is at 5:15am and meets are immediately after school. We haven't had a meet yet, so I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM
I dont have kids in activities yet but that sounds like a cool club. I would try it. I'm sure you may end up dragging your older kid around sometimes too
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

My Freshman is in Cross Country and band.  Now that he's in high school he has to play pep band at all the home games - but we just drop him off and pick him up...we don't stay for the games.  We go to as many meets as we can, but if they're over an hour away, we don't go.  When we do go, we bring our other two kids with and they cheer him on. 

My 9 year old used to be in Scouts, but isn't anymore.  He wants to take up swimming again so I'll probably sign him up for that.  Otherwise, his only activity is the Wed. Kids Krew for church that is just starting - but that is a family event for 1 1/2 hours every Wed.....not too bad.  They also provide dinner so that helps :)

My 6 year old is in scouts and meets once every other week.  We all attend the larger events like Pinewood Derby, etc. and cheer him on.  He'll probably be in swimming too.

Oh - my Freshman and I also both just joined the community band which meets every Wed. 7:30-9:00 - so Wed. will be busy for us.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Wow, that sounds like the high maintenance club. I could see how you would have reservations.

I would most likely try to do it though, if my DS seemed really interested. And just try to deal with the hectic schedule one day at a time!

Good luck with your decision!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

That sounds like a lot of work for you.

Ds plays football right now and when that's finished he has wrestling. They're both three nights a week for two hours a night. And there's a football game every Saturday.It can be really exhausting sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN