Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newby Mom School Fundraiser shock.

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 20 Replies
So my ODS started KG this year. So far there has been a minimum of 2, usually 3 weekly fundraising requests since school has started. I am becoming annoyed with this. About the second week, my DH looked up what the state and county taxes collect for each child (it's public school), and it's $11000 PER kid/per year.

There's another book fair this week (we just had an online one). Students donate money to the PTA every Friday to have permission to "chew gum". My DS was very disappointed, I did not send money--despite the fact, WTH I don't want him chewing gum, so peer pressure pretty guarantees all kids bring money I guess. This week I am Supposed to find sponsors for some family relay race. The PTA is also selling dinner tickets to something else.

And the thing that really irritates me is that the authority figures have brainwashed my DS into believing, his school needs money......he'll look for items with box tops, insist we go to target. He even has been told nights that local restaurants will be giving portions of sales to the school so it encourages us to eat out!!!! He wants us to buy more books, and even accused me of not sending enough for snacks, despite the fact, I have dropped, over $59 on crackers, granola, fruit.

My mother was a teacher for 36 years; I get the the concept of needing miney for, over-worked, underpaid, low supplies, bad facilities, but honestly I do not not feel this describes our school or area. It's KG. I feel like this is what usually happens in high school............I truly woud rather just stoke another check and quit with all the ridiculous fundraising BS. I work, I have enough to do, rather than keep track of chili dinners and collect relay sponsors. Is it like this everywhere? Holy hell, by the time I have 3 bringing home these requests, I just might explode!

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
For the drop money and be done idea, our school actually offered that. They sent out their first fundraiser with anoption to check if you want to send a check to opt out of all fundraising events
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM
On the plus side hes been in school over a month and only 1 fundraiser so far...
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I would jump on that bandwagon really fast. No such luck with our greedy little school!

Quoting Nighttiger:

For the drop money and be done idea, our school actually offered that. They sent out their first fundraiser with anoption to check if you want to send a check to opt out of all fundraising events

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM
welcome to public school. so far we are selling yankee candles and giftwrap and they want a cash donation for some project. the teams will be sending fundraisers soon too.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I live in a poor area and there are minimal fundraisers. He got a scholastic book sale and that's it. There will be a book fair and like 2 more scholastic fliers sent home.
andrea96
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Our PTA only does 2 big fundraisers a year. Our restaurant nights are no more often than once a month, but we rarely go. They also sell t-shirts and might do a few smaller ones during the year, but it's not overwhelming.

funhappymom
by Marie on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Wow, that is crazy. Seriously.

Our school typically only does one big one each year plus 2 book fairs that coincide with parent teacher conferences. For the life of my I can't remember what our fundraiser is, lol.

We do the monthly scholastic, too but that only benefits the teachers/classrooms, not the school as a whole, plus it allows me to purchase books to benefit my kids.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

That is wild! I have a hard time believing schools in your area can be that hard up.

Our little school district doesn't do that, thank goodness! We do the box top thing but they don't push it on the kids. They have 2 book fairs each year that coincide with the parent teacher conferences. And they sell coupon cards to the local pizza place. That's it. And there's no pushing the kids about it either. I like that.

I can imagine if it's like this for you already, what will it be like when all your kids are in school? Yeesh!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM

That would be irritating. The only thing I've gotten since DS started school was a slip saying they were selling suckers for $0.50/ea. I bought a couple and so did my in-laws.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Our PTA does a pass the hat collection at curriculum night, and the only other fundraiser is the magazine drive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)