Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How many hours

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 18 Replies
How many hours do you work a week? I was at 40ish. Then I got cut back to 30-34. I enjoy the time at home with the kids, but the pau cut is hurting us. My dh is a sahd, so its just me bringing home money. There's a job listing for 6 days s week. It'd be 46 hrs, plus benefits. I don't have benefits st my job now. I've lookong for something.else and I'm interested in this, bit I'm worried about all the hours. Will it stress me out, be hard on my family that O'm gone so much? Will the money and benefits be worth it. We're low income now and it's getting harder to get back every month. I might have to go apply and just how much the pay is and maybe take it temporarily. I'm waiting for dh to wake to discuss it with him.
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I work 40ish hours every week.

what kind of work would you be doing?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I'm salary so regardless of how many hours I work, I get paid the same.

I would say the benefits would be worth a few more hours per week - but only you can decide if it's worth it for you.
mickstinator
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I've gone back and forth between full and part time for several years. I have worked full time for around 18 months now. I also have a long commute, so I am gone from home 50 hours every week. 

I think that offer sounds at least worth a follow up. When you know more details, you can make a more informed decision. 6 days a week is rough, but if it's only 46 hours, then you probably won't be working killer days. 

la-cosa-nostra
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

40, with an hour commute each way, so 50 altogether. i hate it and wish i worked less hours and closer to home, but we need the money

christyg
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I average between 50-60

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

40 at my job, plus I attend school, raise my 3 year old, keep up my house and help my husband.  So I work basically 168 hours per week.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I'm gone from home an average of 9 hours a day when you add in day care drop off and commute. My last job was 10 hours a day. Both are m to f jobs. Its hard to be away that much but I'm also the sole earner so its nice for the financial stability. I would at least talk to them. You can always turn it down in the end if its not a good fit
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I work anywhere from 30-40 hours outside of the home, then I work from home anywhere from 10-20 hours. So I work between 50-60 hours a week total.

I have been swinging that schedule about 2 1/2 years now. It's been hard, and now that we are having a 3rd child, despite our financial concerns, I HAVE to cut back. I just think from a physical and emotional standpoint, i cannot continue that pace.

There are so many things that factor into you decision. Is your DH golden? Meaning when you are home, can you simply focus on the children and relationships or are you doing meals, housework, scheduling spots, paying bills etc..... I know much of my added stress comes from my DH who at times is like caring for another child. I would advise against more hours if you are still doing everything at home. If he pulls his fair share, I would go for the new position.
christyg
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Hahaha ... SO TRUE! 

Quoting deccaf:

40 at my job, plus I attend school, raise my 3 year old, keep up my house and help my husband.  So I work basically 168 hours per week.

mom2boys664
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I work 40 hrs a week, and about 400 hours of OT a year, but I am on salary. I also commute 3 hrs round trip every day.

It's really hard at times, but I have flexibility in my schedule so I can work from home if I need to on occasion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN