Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How to handle...

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok, so last week I messed up...big. My boss was out of town. Two weeks ago I offered to host an internal meeting for him since he was gone. Last week was hell at work and somehow I put in my head the meeting was at 10. It started at 9 so I missed it. I feel TERRIBLE. My boss hasn't said anything yet but I dont want to force him to ask about it. How would you approach the situation?
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2maryjoseph
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I would be honest and say I know I said I would be in that meeting for you last week.  I logged it in my calander as starting at 10 by accident.  It started at 9 and with xyz going on I didn't realize it until late.  Just be up front.  As a manager I perfer people just to tell me things.  I think more highly of them then if I have to confront them myself.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

I would be honest and say I know I said I would be in that meeting for you last week.  I logged it in my calander as starting at 10 by accident.  It started at 9 and with xyz going on I didn't realize it until late.  Just be up front.  As a manager I perfer people just to tell me things.  I think more highly of them then if I have to confront them myself.

i would agree. it'll be a rough plea either way, but acknowledging your own screw ups goes a long way! hopefully your boss is understanding of the human nature enough to see your legitimate oversight. : /

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

As openly as you can manage.  Go in, apologize, explain that you know you were in the wrong and that it will not happen again.  I know my boss prefers things out in the open, no beating around.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

i would agree. it'll be a rough plea either way, but acknowledging your own screw ups goes a long way! hopefully your boss is understanding of the human nature enough to see your legitimate oversight. : /

All of this.

Everyone messes up, and everyone forgets things. What is more important to me, however, is how they deal with their mess ups. Just come and tell me "I said I would do this and I didn't. I'm sorry."

Good luck! :)

catevincesmom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I agree.  Best of luck. 

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok. I went in and apologized. He laughed and said it was no big deal. I've come through on everything else so hopefully this wasn't a huge dent. We had gone over a project update from last week earlier so he knows how much I was juggling last week
flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Glad it went well. I always find it best to just apologize, without making excuses
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Glad it went well
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
this. or these. :).

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

All of this.

Everyone messes up, and everyone forgets things. What is more important to me, however, is how they deal with their mess ups. Just come and tell me "I said I would do this and I didn't. I'm sorry."

Good luck! :)

rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Glad he could laugh about it. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN