Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Negotiating Your Salary

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 90 Replies
2 moms liked this

How many of you negotiated your wage before accepting a position? 

I heard recently that an estimated 57% of men negotiate their salaries, but only 7% of women do. This has also been cited as a major contributor to the continued gender wage gap.

So have you negotiated? Do you have any tips to offer other working women? 

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la-cosa-nostra
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

i am planning on renegotiating mine, they gave me a new position and title with tons of extra responsibility but no extra pay and i am planning on bringing it up again. 

Sister_Someone
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I negotiated. I could afford to because I'd already had a job and I was offered my current job. They wanted me, therefore I was the one calling the shots. 

I may be in a different position than many because my field of expertise is highly specific and, while not irreplaceable by any means, I'm not the easiest team member to replace either, which gives me a certain amount of leverage. I can afford to be a little high maintenance if I choose to.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I've negotiated several. At my current job they were not able to match my counter offer but they made up the difference in a hiring bonus. All the rest matched my counter offer. The only one I didn't negotiate I was 5 months pregnant and feeling weak. They expected me to and I had to work a lot harder to earn respect at that job
emshab
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I did this time.  They gave me an offer that I would have proably taken any way because my other job was possibly ending but I told them that I was close to a discuss but that the 1 hour commute was my sticking point was there any way they could compensate me for my long commute. 

They had me a higher offer the next day that I immediately took.

My previous position I asked for a higher salary but they couldn't do it but gave me a signing bonus/relocation bonus to make it up for the 1st year.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

i have never negotiated my salary before, but i am hoping to renegotiate at the end of this year. i make a decent wage, but i have increased my value in teh company significantly over the past 18 months or so. i took over the responsibilities of an employee that left and the position was never filled again and we are growing significantly, which adds a lot of work for me. 

from what i know about other employees, my boss is pretty easy to negotiate with, so i'm hopeful. i just need to work on confidence! 

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I did negotiate. What really went in my favor is that I was taking a pay cut to relocate. The prospective company upped their original offer based on the salary I was making at my current employer. They also paid moving expenses, even though the original job ad had stated local applicants only, because their offer was still below my current salary.

flutter523
by Tracy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
3 moms liked this
I never have and wouldn't even know how. As a teacher I'm just lucky to have a job using my degree. So many others I know don't
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I never have.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Yes I have . Working in HR you also see a whole gamut of ridiculous salary requests and ridiculous starting offers from managers
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I have never negotiated.  When I was a teacher you had no choice - you got whatever the union bargained for which was usually very little.

When I moved to the corporate world, the starting salary they offered was more than I was making after over a decade of teaching, so I didn't see a need to negotiate for more.  Since then, I've received very healthy raises every single year based on my performance, so again, no need to ask for more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)