Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

The modern age

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 9 Replies
i remember as a teen helping grandma clean herviven. we started the night before with a biwl of ammonia put in the oven after dinner while it was warm. then before bed spraying the oven with easy off. waking up the next morning. donning gloves and cleaning it out. and using sos and comet when easy off left something behind. the smell the grease. nasty. Dear Grandma in heaven. I am cleaning my oven while I sit studying and i have my feet up. i wish you had this self cleaning feature when you were here because you worked hard your whole life and a little convenience is a wonderful thing.
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
christaberk
by Christa on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a self cleaning oven at my apartment, and it doesn't actually do anything. I don't know if it's broken, or just outdated. So I still end up cleaning it myself. Haha. :-P
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM
lol. probably the element doesnt get hot enough anymore or the door lock is malfunctioning.

Quoting rissarin:

I have a self cleaning oven at my apartment, and it doesn't actually do anything. I don't know if it's broken, or just outdated. So I still end up cleaning it myself. Haha. :-P

rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It could be both! Haha. Hopefully we'll be moving soon so we won't have that problem anymore. ;)

Quoting calsmom62:

lol. probably the element doesnt get hot enough anymore or the door lock is malfunctioning.

Quoting rissarin:

quickbooksworm
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually never use the self cleaning oven feature because it smells so bad and it's not good to be breathing.  I just use easy off.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM
i opened windows and sliders and used a fan. and i sat in a room away from the kitchen. it wasnt bad. the key i think is to not let it build up too much

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I actually never use the self cleaning oven feature because it smells so bad and it's not good to be breathing.  I just use easy off.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I clean mine by hand

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Baking soda :)  I have never used the self cleaning feature on our oven, I just sprinkle baking soda in the bottom, moisten it, and let it sit for a while and clean it up.  Works well, and no stink.  That reminds me I need to clean the oven.....

CampClan
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't even know if my oven has a self cleaning mode! Hmmm... I should look into that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)