Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make big family meals throughout the week or just weekends?? Do the kids help?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

If old enough that is?

I'm thinking of starting to make my own tomato sauce on the weekends to use throughout the week (we love pasta & have something with pasta at least once a week). I think my kids (ages 4 & up) can help with the prep of something like this. Plus it will give my girls & I some mother/daughter time in the kitchen. My mom NEVER asked me to help cook. My girls are all about helping me when they can (they are 12 & 14).

I'm looking on Pinterest right now for ideas but if anyone here has any "big meal" ideas please feel free to share! And not just big meals to feed a large family. I'm talking the "big meal of the day" type meals. I can always tweek a recipe for my large family! LOL

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I cook big meals as often as I can, as quick as I can. Haha. But they're usually very simple (helps make it quick). My daughter is 3 and likes helping with what she can. I don't allow her near the heat, so mostly she stirs or pours.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I usually make something easy or in the crockpot. The big meals at my house are breakfast for dinner, lasagna, mac and cheese with ground beef, or cheesy chicken and rice casserole. Ds likes to help cook when he's in the nood to. The cheesy chicken and rice is one of my favorites because you throw everything in the pan and then put it in the oven. I got the recipe off Campbells website.

CampClan
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG Cheesy Chicken & Rice is a new fave here! I discovered it on Pinterest & have made it maybe 3 or 4 times now in the past 4 months. My kids love it! I need something to add some umph to it IMO. It's too blah for me. I don't do the onion but I might start doing that to give it something. I like onion flavor but not the texture.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I usually make something easy or in the crockpot. The big meals at my house are breakfast for dinner, lasagna, mac and cheese with ground beef, or cheesy chicken and rice casserole. Ds likes to help cook when he's in the nood to. The cheesy chicken and rice is one of my favorites because you throw everything in the pan and then put it in the oven. I got the recipe off Campbells website.

christaberk
by Christa on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
During the week it's mostly quick meals that take less than 20 min to prepare. Weekends I do larger meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Well, my DH does the cooking, but we have a full dinner (main dish, salad/bread, 1-2 sides, fruit/jell-o) every night. Sometimes I bake a dessert or we have ice cream.

Friday night is always pizza night. Saturday is usually leftover night, and Sunday is a 'light' night - not a big dinner.

My kids help me bake, and sometimes make lunch on non-school days. My oldest took cooking classes for 2 summers, so he has cooked an entire dinner for us a few times.
sweetchels48
by New Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I do quick meals as well.  Spaghetti, grilled chicken, fajitas are the top 3.  I also have slow cooker chicken recipes my favorites are Ginger pineapple and salsa chicken and I love to throw different veggies in a pan and baking casseroles. LOL  Super simple and in 1 dish.  On the weekends I do more elaborate things lasagna, etc.  The kids don't usually help as they do homework while I cook dinner.  2 birds with 1 stone.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I usually cook something easy during the week either on the stove or using my crock pot. Saturdays we typically end up getting some sort of fast food and Sundays is family dinner night at the in-law's.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I try to make up a salad over the weekend so that we can just pull it out of the fridge during the week. I also try to do more time-consuming meals over the weekend and quicker ones during the week. The kids help when their schedules allow it (with HS sports, play practice, and other EC's it's tough during the week).

I use the crock pot a lot, and during the winter make a lot of soups and bread in the bread machine - it's nice to have supper ready when we all get home.

Mommabearbergh
trying to have a smooth morning
Today at 9:54 AM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM

On sundays is usually the big meal.Its my night off.so I usually prep,take a nap and then cook it all.I love doing it that way. dd help sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)