Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I had...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

A night off from the kids :)  A few months ago I won a Mary Kay makeover and was excited to find their product does not irritate my sensitive skin.  Since the rep I met lives about 30-45 minutes from me, we decided I would host a oarty in our house.  Only two women showed up, but a lot of the women I know have been going through major changes and they couldn't make it.  The two that did come had fun (they brought their dds which I thought was odd as I had made arrangements for ours to go to a grandparents' house- makeovers are more enjoyable for me if there is no G rating lol) and scheduled parties that I am invited to :)  I got a free compact, already loaded, for hosting, and she will be dropping my new foundation off tomorrow, so I will be able to dump all of my old makeup that was irritating my skin :)

I am hoping to be able to work a purchase every other month or so into our budget so I can build everything back up.  I am not the most feminine person around, but I like to look professional for work, and that means make up, clothes, etc, which have suffered over the past few years due to our finances.  I will have my BS after my last two classes in November, I am hoping and praying to have a much better paying job next year.  If not I may take her up on her offer and supplement our income selling Mary Kay ;P

I have decided to take the time to build up my work experience for a year or two before getting my MBA.  If I wait two years both the girls will be in elementary school, and I will have had time to build my experience and pay down my current loans a little bit.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM

It's weird that they brought their kids. I love Mary Kay stuff, it really is nice.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

It's weird that they brought their kids. I love Mary Kay stuff, it really is nice.

Yeah I was surprised, because one was eight and the other just started kindergarten.  The older one's parents are really into modesty etc, so I was surprised her mom would bring her to a makeup party- they are more conservative than my parents and I didn't wear makeup off stage until I was over 16.  The other mom is going through a nasty divorce and just had to go back to work, so I think she wanted some girly time with her dd, who has been taking it hard; it is ironic because when she was a SAHM it seemed like she was always looking for chances to "get away" from the kids for an hour or two.  I would have appreciated a "hey we're bringing the girls" so I could have some kid stuff for them to do while we did the fun stuff- I didn't bother with it because our girls weren't there, and I know the younger one was kind of bored with all the talking.

christaberk
by Christa on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Well, personally for me if I can't bring my kids I can't come. :-)

Quoting cjsmom1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

If I can't find a sitter then I don't go. I always figure people who go use it as an opportunity to be around other adults. I guess it depends on the person hosting it

Quoting christaberk:

Well, personally for me if I can't bring my kids I can't come. :-)

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM
i usually phrase the invite like moms night out. and mention my dh and kids wont be around either occasionally a mom would still bring a kid but i have a playroom thats visible from the big living room but has glass doors so you can see but nit hear lol.
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM
That's awesome! So great for you to find something you like that works with your skin! I love make up and skin products.....kind of a junkie :)

It is kind of odd that the guests brought kids of those ages, but I bet they had a ball!
mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I am a huge MK user and fan. My BFF is a director. She works hard but loves it and supports her family with it while being at home for my godsons. It was what she wanted to do and I have always supported her. She has the personality for it. 

If you think it is something that you are interested in, the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to be fully informed when you go into it.

Wife to Matt (7/12/09) and mommy to Samara (10/2010)

big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)