Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

The Balancing Act

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

DS was diagnosed with croup on Friday.  The pedi said he could return to daycare 24 hours after the fever broke, which means he could go back tomorrow. I'm just not comfortable sending him since he's very aggressive and temperamental while on steroids, as well as he still has the whistling in his breathing when he cries or gets really active.

Luckily, I dumped my current project on a disk and will work from home tomorrow since DH has required training ALL week. I'm getting a jump on my work tonight since I know I won't be able to focus all day tomorrow.

How do you other mommies balance work and sick kids?

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I work from home already, but when they're sick, I call in sick so I can take care of them.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM

When DD was little I would just have to take time off of work and hope that I had time saved up

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM
it depends on how sick they are and whats on my calendar at work. i may go to work and call them periodically. or just stay home with them. they have been able to stay home sick since age nine or so. dh can also pop in on them duri g the day.
LIMom1105
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM

It's a problem. I work in a public service environment, and there are days when I have to be there or no one is there. My husband could work from home and does at times, but his employer frowns on it. We had a big fight over who was staying home last week when our son was sick. 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Luckily DS hasn't been sick too often since my mil started watching him. He did have to miss school this morning because of tummy issues so he'll be spending the day with my mil.

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I understand public service. DH works in law enforcement and if they are below their minimums for the shift he HAS to be there.  This week he's in training and can only miss 4 hours.

Quoting LIMom1105:

It's a problem. I work in a public service environment, and there are days when I have to be there or no one is there. My husband could work from home and does at times, but his employer frowns on it. We had a big fight over who was staying home last week when our son was sick. 

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

That's nice. 

LIMom1105
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup, same issues.  Friday I was the only one working until 1:00 pm, so if I didn't show up it would not have been good. But my husband had some high profile project he was finishing the same day, so if he didn't show up, it also wouldn't be good. 

Usually, we can work it out, but that particular day was not good. Luckily, my son just had a runny nose, no more, so he went to school. 

Quoting iansmommy9:

I understand public service. DH works in law enforcement and if they are below their minimums for the shift he HAS to be there.  This week he's in training and can only miss 4 hours.

Quoting LIMom1105:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

DH and I take turns staying home with DS when he is sick. Sometimes, depending on the severity of the sickness, I will work from home. I can run out to work (5 minutes from home) and grab my computer and some other things to get through the day before DH leaves for work in the morning. If DS is really sick, I won't work, but 90% of the time when he's sick, all he wants to do is sleep.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I work from home when necessary.  I can log onto my work computer from home, so unless I need something from the office, it's home all day.  If I really need to pick anything up, I bring her with me for a very short trip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)