Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Really, daycare????

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 28 Replies

The assistant director of my daycare had the flu going around last week.  So when I saw her this morning, I asked how she was.  Still not feeling well. 

So here's my question...Why can the employees come in sick if the kids can't?

I have a job where I can work from home if necessary.  Many of the other parents cannot.  Why are you risking spreading this around to a bunch of little kids?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

She may not have sick time left and she has no choice but to return to work.I am just assuming you have no idea what her benefits package may look like.I am assuming she has a family support and sometimes you have to get the hell out of bed put your work clothes on and keep it moving. I have been to work where a higher up was told a supe to come to work when she had a fever and run a shift and they told her she could leave when the next shift came back.I am talking she had chills the whole time but because admin needed her to come in she came in. We work in a group home so we come into contact with kids.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I realize that she may need that money, but so do the parents that pay to take their children to this center and are told they cannot bring a sick child.  What I am questioning is why she is allowed to be there working with the kids when she is sick.  I am less affected financially for the simple fact that I can work from home when necessary.  Most people who have their child in daycare cannot do that. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

She may not have sick time left and she has no choice but to return to work.I am just assuming you have no idea what her benefits package may look like.I am assuming she has a family support and sometimes you have to get the hell out of bed put your work clothes on and keep it moving. I have been to work where a higher up was told to come to work when she had a fever and run a shift and they told her she could leave when the next shift came back.I am talking she had chills the whole time but because admin needed her to come in she came in. We work in a group home so we come into contact with kids.

Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I am going to assume she doesn't have to come into close contact with the children the whole day.She can stay in her office if need be. Now kids on the other hand will always be around another kid touch and putting their hands in their mouths and touching each other.
Quoting deccaf:

I realize that she may need that money, but so do the parents that pay to take their children to this center and are told they cannot bring a sick child.  What I am questioning is why she is allowed to be there working with the kids when she is sick.  I am less affected financially for the simple fact that I can work from home when necessary.  Most people who have their child in daycare cannot do that. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

She may not have sick time left and she has no choice but to return to work.I am just assuming you have no idea what her benefits package may look like.I am assuming she has a family support and sometimes you have to get the hell out of bed put your work clothes on and keep it moving. I have been to work where a higher up was told to come to work when she had a fever and run a shift and they told her she could leave when the next shift came back.I am talking she had chills the whole time but because admin needed her to come in she came in. We work in a group home so we come into contact with kids.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Oh I would be absolutely FURIOUS! I woulr probably say something to the director about it - but I am friends with the director of our daycare so that may make a difference in how comfortable I am in talking with her. But HOLY COW! I'd be livid!

And like you said - it's not so much of a financial problem for you necessarily, but more the thought of Why can YOU come here sick but the KIDS can't? Kind of a double standard.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Nope, she works in the baby room.  She is the assistant, meaning she opens up until the director comes in, then off to the babies.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I am going to assume she doesn't have to come into close contact with the children the whole day.She can stay in her office if need be. Now kids on the other hand will always be around another kid touch and putting their hands in their mouths and touching each other.
Quoting deccaf:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM

then you might want to talk to the direcetor because it may not be her doing.

Quoting deccaf:

Nope, she works in the baby room.  She is the assistant, meaning she opens up until the director comes in, then off to the babies.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yeah.  That's not cool.

christyg
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM

If she is the one with them every day, then they have all already been exposed to her illness. Im wondering if you would rather have the room where she works closed for the day?

She is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I am sorry, you feel Steph and other children are at risk.

Many adults and children will feel "poorly" following viral illness for days to weeks. It is completely unrealistic that any worker stay home this long in any work setting. The average respiratory virus takes 10-14 days to resolve. Most adults are completely capable of controlling their secretions, washing hands and following appropriate hygiene to prevent transmission. Most stomach virus also can be prevented with hand washing and not kissing the children, etc.
rissarin
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Yep. This for sure. As much as I brag about my coworkers and place of employment being great, my boss has done this to me more often than I can count. I'm sick, or my daughter is sick, but we still have to go, to save her (she doesn't like working in my room) not because I need the money. I'm going to stop here before I write a novel. Ha.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

then you might want to talk to the direcetor because it may not be her doing.

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN