Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

When do you take your kids to the doctor?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 20 Replies

We were at my in laws the other day and my mil and her sister were talking about dh's cousin and his wife and how their oldest daughter has been running a fever off and on for 2 weeks. I guess they didn't take her to the doctor as soon as the fever started and blame that on the reason why she is still sick and 'suffering'.

MIL and her sister said that they always took the kids to the doctor as soon as they ran a fever. They weren't taking a chance and almost always would make sure they were on some kind of med.

Of course this talk was all while I was sitting there holding my daughter who had been up the night before with croup. My mil was shocked when we got there and asked what meds the doctor had her on and I said nothing-we hadn't gone, lol. I also had her outside almost all day on Saturday. It wasn't cold, it wasn't hot and she was properly dressed. Fresh air was good for her. She was doing much better yesterday and is still doing better today.

I really don't believe in medicating unless necessary. I try to let whatever they have run it's course if at all possible and don't go rushing to the doctor for mild illnesses. If they aren't getting better in 2-3 days or if get worst quickly, I will take them.

When do you take your kids to the doctor?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I'm with you - I only medicate as a last resort.  Often, if I do end up taking them to the doc, they don't prescribe anything anyway, so it's kind of pointless to take them in.

If their throat looks like strep or if they exhibit signs of an ear infection, I'll take them for antibiotics.

My DH grew up in a house like your inlaws - CONSTANTLY medicating every little thing - major hypochrondriacs.  It's tough living with someone like that but DH has gotten better over the years.

Aramat34
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Same, as little as possible! My 4 year old has never taken antibiotics and hopefully  won't need to. Over prescribed.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I take her more than most people would.  Mostly due to the ear infection issues we have dealt with.  She give no indication of having an ear infection, so we often take her in just for what many would see as "just a cold".  But that usually creates ear infection issues with her, and since she doesn't say anything, we can't know unless a Dr. can look at her ear.  The last two times, she hasn't had an ear infection, though, so we may be through that little patch.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't take my kids to the doc quickly at all. I am a believer that most bugs work out of their systems with some fluids and rest. If there are concerns about infection that requires antibiotics, then I schedule an appointment. There are few things I hate more than taking time off of work, dragging my poor, sick kid out of bed, copping up a copay, and then being told all he needs is rest and tylenol. I've gotten pretty good at looking for the signs of infection in each of my boys. 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM

We take DS in as little as possible. I think we've only been to the doctor a handful of times other than for his well check appointments.

heather77g
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I dont take them right away. I do just like you and give them a few days. If they dont start to get better then I will take them. 

heather77g
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I dont take them right away. I do just like you and give them a few days. If they dont start to get better then I will take them. 

funhappymom
by Marie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Lol. My husband must have gone way too many times because he won't go now unless I force him to.

Quoting the3Rs:

I'm with you - I only medicate as a last resort.  Often, if I do end up taking them to the doc, they don't prescribe anything anyway, so it's kind of pointless to take them in.

If their throat looks like strep or if they exhibit signs of an ear infection, I'll take them for antibiotics.

My DH grew up in a house like your inlaws - CONSTANTLY medicating every little thing - major hypochrondriacs.  It's tough living with someone like that but DH has gotten better over the years.

funhappymom
by Marie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting deccaf:

I take her more than most people would.  Mostly due to the ear infection issues we have dealt with.  She give no indication of having an ear infection, so we often take her in just for what many would see as "just a cold".  But that usually creates ear infection issues with her, and since she doesn't say anything, we can't know unless a Dr. can look at her ear.  The last two times, she hasn't had an ear infection, though, so we may be through that little patch.

I understand where you are coming from. My oldest used to get them pretty regularly after he turned 4-which is actually pretty unusual since most ear issues present earlier than that. We actually got sent to the ENT and were discussing tubes until he finally 'outgrew' them. I do have to wonder though if he used to get them prior to that and just suffered through them.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Your MIL's generation never dealt with antibiotic drug resistant staph or enterococcus, bacteria. They were able to live in the "everybody gets an antibiotic" generation with no fears. You can drag you children to the doctor all you want, but if you have a competent provider, "most" of the time, based on current studies and literature, you should leave empty handed except instructions of rest, fluids, humidity, etc. yes, there are still any providers who cave to customer/patient demands, and Inappropriately prescribe, but doesn't make it right!

As for me, surprisingly after that rant, I do tend to take my kiddos to the doc after a day or two. because with my background, I tend to really minimize symptoms, complaints, and I just want to get another set of objective eyes assessing them and agree with my findings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)