Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

thanks, shutdown

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 26 Replies
Until the shutdown is over, I will no longer be receiving Facebook updates from my favorite pages. Really, the only reason I pay any attention to Facebook anymore is for these pages - the wildlife refuges and the fish and game services.

Kind of bazaar to think that if I was done with school, and had the job I want, I'd be without work. :-/
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The positive side- the shutdown happened at a better time for you.  It sucks that this is happening, though.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I think all their pay needs to be suspended.
funhappymom
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

What are you going to school to do?

I agree with cjsmom1. The Pres and Congress needs to lose their pay while the government is shut down.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Very true. And although shutdowns are scary, I'm glad they don't happen often. For everyone's sake!

Quoting deccaf:

The positive side- the shutdown happened at a better time for you.  It sucks that this is happening, though.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I can agree with that.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I think all their pay needs to be suspended.
Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM
3 moms liked this

I think everyone agrees on that one point no matter what side of the fence you are on.  The President and Congress should not be getting paid during this time either.

DawnPratt23
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Same with my work, as a genealogist I use National Archives, and they are closed for now.

However, this is the 17th Shutdown since 1976, 1995 was the last shutdown and it lasted 21 days.

Annoying yes, but am hoping people will get back and want to work, not gridlock each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I'll be going for natural resources, and hopefully working for a wildlife refuge as a wildlife biologist. That's the dream anyway.

And I agree with the pay cutoff. While they're still raking in the thousands, millions, people who need every paycheck to support themselves are wondering how to pay the mortgage without one.

Quoting funhappymom:

I agree with cjsmom1. The Pres and Congress needs to lose their pay while the government is shut down.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Agreed. I understand this was a drastic step, but I hope people can see beyond it and still want their jobs, no matter how long it lasts. (Unless they absolutely need money and can't wait x amount of days wondering when they'll get paid again.)

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Same with my work, as a genealogist I use National Archives, and they are closed for now.

However, this is the 17th Shutdown since 1976, 1995 was the last shutdown and it lasted 21 days.

Annoying yes, but am hoping people will get back and want to work, not gridlock each other.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
That's the worst part, the people who rely on this money won't be getting paid. How do we not pay our soldiers? Many of their spouses don't work because it's not possible with moving frequently or because they're the only one home for the kids.

Quoting rissarin:

I'll be going for natural resources, and hopefully working for a wildlife refuge as a wildlife biologist. That's the dream anyway.

And I agree with the pay cutoff. While they're still raking in the thousands, millions, people who need every paycheck to support themselves are wondering how to pay the mortgage without one.

Quoting funhappymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN