Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Drowning... Need organization. What do you do?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I now have my first child starting elementary school and her schedule is busier than mine!!  Take her schedule, my own schedule, my husbands, the baby's appointments, neighborhood groups, ballet, girl scouts, and the pets and its a LOT to juggle.... not to mention snack day, show and tell, and school functions.  Did I mention I am also a full time student?

I know there has got to be some awesome Mom's Super Planner and Organizer out there I can buy that will rock my world.  But what is it?  What do you use?  No apps, gmail calendars, etc.  I am a highly technical person who works in a technical field but for this.... I need tangible paper.

in love  blowing bubbles  baby boy 
Wife to Jared, Mother to Olivia Grace 10/11/2007  &   Blaine Alexander 01/13/2012
http://www.boehmkehouse.blogspot.com/

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I don't do as much as I used to because we are down to only 2 kids at home so it seems really easy compared to 5!

BUT - I planned my meals 2 weeks in advance and went to the store just once. Time and money saver.

For schedules, I used a dry erase board that was stuck to the side of the fridge. Each kid had their own color marker to help keep straight which event belonged to which kid. If the dry erase won't work, say if you want to show more than one month at a time, use a paper calendar on the fridge.

We also limited each kid on the number of activities they could be involved in at once. No more than 2 things per kid at a time.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I get the simple Day Planner that fits in my purse.  As things come up, that is the first place I look.  DD is in daycare, so no worries about field trips, teacher days, etc.  But I work full time, go to school, have Karate for her, plus all the other stuff that just comes up with life.  Various trips we need to do for whatever reason, special projects, birthdays, household stuff.  That dayplanner saves my life!  I get the one that has 1 week per 2 pages.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Here's bump. I could not imagine organizing my life without syncing everyone's schedule with Microsoft Office and my IPhone.

Have you checked homemade etsy planners? Maybe they have something?
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I'm afraid I'm no help to you as I keep everything in my outlook calendar.  I have three boys - 9th, 4th and 2nd grades, and both DH and I work full time.  Taking this week for example:

• Mon-Fri work all day (DH works Tues-Sat)
  • Mon night - spaghetti dinner for ODS cross country team followed by HS band concert for ODS
  • Tues night - Cross country meet for ODS
  • Wed night - ODS and I perform in the community band and have rehearsal from 7:30-9:00 after his CC practice and Kidz Krew at church for the younger to DSs
  • Thurs night - Scouts for YDS (MDS quit scouts :( )
  • Fri - family night (for once, ODS doesn't have pep band)
  • Sat - Cross Country youth race for all grades (fundraiser for CC team)
  • Sun - church and FOOTBALL lol :)

My younger two will also be restarting swimming again soon.

I've tried planners, but they just don't work for me.  My calendar is on my at all times, so I'm always ready.

I have seen those big dry erase boards people hang on their walls - maybe that would work for you?

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I need paper too! I have tried calendar apps and stuff, but I just can't make them work for me

I keep a planner in my purse that I try to look at daily. I also have a calendar in front of me at work at all times, so I try to keep appointments and such on both calendars.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I have a medium sized planner that is always in my purse. My work schedule is in red or purple as well as any events for me. Anything for ds is written in blue (days off, early dismissal, where games are, events, etc). I also have a dry erase board in the living to help everyone else keep track of things.

autodidact
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I LOVE this, but it doesn't have a calendar. it does do timed alarms, so you can create reminders though.

evernote.com   it's a cross platform app for your computer, smartphone, tablet. lets you clip whole pages or parts of pages online, make voice memos, lists, etc. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I have calendar reminders on the iPad, then I carry a daily planner, a day per page.  I plan (or try to) meals two weeks to a month in advance, shop twice a month.  Anything that needs to be done goes into the planner and my calendar.  Between the two I prefer the planner, it is easier for me to remember what I have written down.

dmom27
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I did replace my calender with an ap.  (Cozi)  I was writing things down on my calender, but it was just not working anymore.  I need all of my appointments on hand.  At home, I have a bulletin board that I tack everything up on.  Work schedules, soccer games, school lunch menu, PTA Meetings.  I have to keep everything visible, or else it will get burried.  I write my son's lunch balance on each day of the menu calender, so I always know that I remembered to pay it.  Bills go in my purse, that way I can pay them one at a time.  I have a bill list on my Cozi, and I just cross them off the list as I pay them.  I also keep little lists of important reminders in my wallet, for the things that I know I'll probably forget.  I only plan one week of meals at a time.  We shop every Friday, and write down the 7 dinners on a note pad on the fridge.  DH and I text grocery reminders to each other all week, so that when we shop on Friday, the messages contain all of the important items for the week. 

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I'm like you and I prefer paper.  It's more effective for me.  My phone automatically syncs all my calendars though, but I do have a planner with activities for each of us written in a different color.  At home, we have a huge wall calendar where everything is written in as well and highlighted for super important events/appointments.  I also sit down and plan meals a week at a time.  So, today I will sit and plan out what we're eating for next week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)