Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I want to pull my hair out!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 14 Replies

Getting my 3 year old to see a speech pathologist has been an excruciating process. 

I looked up the info online. I did this last year, so I didn't think it would be too difficult. 

I was referred to a different organization that handles children once they are 3. That organization told me they did not, in fact, handle 3 year olds. I was referred to the elementary school (the one my kindergartener attends). 

I called the speech pathologist and had a quick phone pre-screening to verify his qualification for an evaluation (which would then verify his qualification for therapy. yeah.). I had to wait 10 days after the pre-screening for the paperwork to be filed so I could go in and sign more paperwork. I thought I'd be able to schedule the evaluation then. 

Instead, I was told I need to provide a vision and hearing test within the last year before he can be evaluated. His last hearing screening was about 16 months ago. He has never had his vision tested. I've now set up an appointment for the hearing test for as soon as I could get in - this Friday. I contacted his pediatrician to see if they can give me a written confirmation that he shows no indication of vision loss (because how the hell do I get a vision screening for a three year old that can't talk?!). 

THEN, I can schedule the evaluation. THEN, I can get him signed up for therapy. THEN, I can actually address his speech delay. 

I want to pull my hair out! I have now left work early 2 separate times to get this situated and have at least 2 more times to go (his hearing screening and the speech evaluation). Thankfully, my company has been understanding. Every appointment has needed to be scheduled for Fridays and that is the WORST day for me. 

On top of this, I have my other son's first parent teacher conference coming up. I really don't want to miss, but I am afraid of asking too much of my company. : /

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

ugh so frustrating!!

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It's definitely a frustrating process. I know I felt so overwhelmed between getting DS into therapy through Early Childhood Intervention and then into PPCD through the school. It seems like you have to jump through 100 hoops for each step! With Jackson we didn't have to do a vision test to have him evaluated but I guess every area is different. I hope that things start going more smoothly for you guys!

mickstinator
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Quoting trfgirl56701:

It's definitely a frustrating process. I know I felt so overwhelmed between getting DS into therapy through Early Childhood Intervention and then into PPCD through the school. It seems like you have to jump through 100 hoops for each step! With Jackson we didn't have to do a vision test to have him evaluated but I guess every area is different. I hope that things start going more smoothly for you guys!

gah, why are they making me do this?! it makes no sense. we're not concerned with his vision. it's unrelated. all it's going to be is a waste of time and money if i actually have to make an appointment with an optometrist. i'm already going to have to spend at least 100 for his hearing screening. 

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Wow. That sounds incredibly frustrating. I'm sorry. :(
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I just don't understand their reasoning for a vision test since you've never mentioned having concerns about not being able to see. I think they can do vision checks with kids that can't talk by using lights.

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting trfgirl56701:

gah, why are they making me do this?! it makes no sense. we're not concerned with his vision. it's unrelated. all it's going to be is a waste of time and money if i actually have to make an appointment with an optometrist. i'm already going to have to spend at least 100 for his hearing screening. 

mickstinator
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

A friend of mine just told me her son's eye doc uses a picture chart with the non-verbal kids. That makes sense. I still don't see why Brody needs one, but I guess there is a way for non-verbal kids to have their vision tested. haha!

Quoting trfgirl56701:

I just don't understand their reasoning for a vision test since you've never mentioned having concerns about not being able to see. I think they can do vision checks with kids that can't talk by using lights.

Quoting mickstinator:

christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM
It can be so frustrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Wow.  Sorry you have to jump through all of those hoops!  Sounds absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.  Glad your employer is working with you though!

mickstinator
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Quoting the3Rs:

Wow.  Sorry you have to jump through all of those hoops!  Sounds absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.  Glad your employer is working with you though!

I'm glad I can at least have my frustration legitimized by other moms. haha. I wouldn't be so irritated if I wasn't just so flat out impatient to get my son in therapy. I've worried for YEARS about his delayed speech. He didn't qualify last year because, although being delayed, he apparently wasn't the right percentage delayed to qualify. He has fallen farther behind his peers since then, so I really am anticipating qualification this time around.

I'm so frustrated with trying everything I know how and seeing little results. : (

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I was about to say they used pictures when my ds got his vision checked when he was one. They put pictures into the machine and followed where ds's eyes went.

Quoting mickstinator:

A friend of mine just told me her son's eye doc uses a picture chart with the non-verbal kids. That makes sense. I still don't see why Brody needs one, but I guess there is a way for non-verbal kids to have their vision tested. haha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN