Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Working while out with a sick kid?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 21 Replies

Anyone do this?  I got a call that I was needed for a few minutes yesterday.  I don't mind, as long as Steph isn't super ill and uncontrollably sick.  I came in, she had a great time in my office.  Everyone loved seeing her.  Boss felt bad, but really, it's no problem.

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I used to feel like it was ok and then my boss made comments to another coworker about "productivity" because I once brought my son in unexpectedly when our sitter fell through for a couple of hours before my husband could take him. I had been under the impression (because of conversations that specfically addressed the issue) that there was no problem with this. Now I have to tiptoe around the issue awkwardly. Pretty frustrating.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

When my boss texted to see if I could come in, I specifically told him I had to bring her.  He said that was fine.  I remember you having that problem.

Quoting mickstinator:

I used to feel like it was ok and then my boss made comments to another coworker about "productivity" because I once brought my son in unexpectedly when our sitter fell through for a couple of hours before my husband could take him. I had been under the impression (because of conversations that specfically addressed the issue) that there was no problem with this. Now I have to tiptoe around the issue awkwardly. Pretty frustrating.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I've had to take the kids with me so few times, too! My husband works full time and goes to school. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do other than say I just can't come in to work. Infuriating since he also has a 3 year old, but I guess since his wife is a sahm, he doesn't understand. 

In the past, I've explicitely asked and he enthusiastically gave permission. That's the most frustrating part! I don't know what changed. 

Quoting deccaf:

When my boss texted to see if I could come in, I specifically told him I had to bring her.  He said that was fine.  I remember you having that problem.

Quoting mickstinator:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
My work would definitely not like me bringing in a children. I snuck into my school office with the newborn this Monday, just for like 30 minutes to tie up loose ends. I have MY own office. Very few people around, and unfortunately my boss walked by, she was nice, but I could sense she was not thrilled. I assured her, it was a one time thing.

But the whole thing bothers me, it shouldn't matter, if I do not disturb other faculty or staff or students, bring her to class obviously, AND I get my work done, why the hell can't I bring her at this stage. Just one more example of how society give a big "F U" to hardworking mothers. Let's not try to find solutions to keep moms happy and in the workplace, let's just keep status quo, smh.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Someone must have complained.

Quoting mickstinator:

I've had to take the kids with me so few times, too! My husband works full time and goes to school. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do other than say I just can't come in to work. Infuriating since he also has a 3 year old, but I guess since his wife is a sahm, he doesn't understand. 

In the past, I've explicitely asked and he enthusiastically gave permission. That's the most frustrating part! I don't know what changed. 

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting mickstinator:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad I work where I do.  It is VERY family friendly.  My boss is great with my needs as a mother.  And he LOVED seeing Steph.  He even encouraged her to jump on his couch.  Thanks, boss.

Quoting Marti123:

My work would definitely not like me bringing in a children. I snuck into my school office with the newborn this Monday, just for like 30 minutes to tie up loose ends. I have MY own office. Very few people around, and unfortunately my boss walked by, she was nice, but I could sense she was not thrilled. I assured her, it was a one time thing.

But the whole thing bothers me, it shouldn't matter, if I do not disturb other faculty or staff or students, bring her to class obviously, AND I get my work done, why the hell can't I bring her at this stage. Just one more example of how society give a big "F U" to hardworking mothers. Let's not try to find solutions to keep moms happy and in the workplace, let's just keep status quo, smh.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I think it's because my coworker asked for more hours and he wanted to deny it, so he had to come up with excuses why we can perform better as is. He also commented on another coworker who leaves early frequently. She also arrives really early, so she always works 8+ hours a day, and frequently works weekends, lodging well over 40 hours every week. 

It's an office of 5 people. Maybe someone complained, but I really doubt it. I have a good relationship with all my coworkers. 

Quoting deccaf:

Someone must have complained.

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting mickstinator:

emshab
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I work from home when kids are sick.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I can do a lot of my job from home.  But I had to write checks, which can only be done in office.

Quoting emshab:

I work from home when kids are sick.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I've had to have my daughter in with me a couple of times, for a few hours. in general, it's fine, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but if I'm here with her, doing half my work, versus at home with her, doing no work, I'm sure my boss would want the half my work option. Thankfully DH can work from home so if DD is sick, he's able to take the whole day at home or at least let me work at the office a half day and then take the shift in the afternoon or whatever (while he gets some/more work done). And for partial sick days, we're not "Charged" so if I can work part of the day, it's a HUGE benefit (since the first day of a sick occurance is flex time aka vacation time)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN