Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

no answers, just more questions.

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

I thought I was going to pull my hair out before from all the run around the district has given me with getting Brody an evaluation for speech therapy. Of course, I didn't knock on any damn wood or throw any salt over my shoulder. The issue is now even more complicated and none of my questions have yet to be answered.


Today Brody had his hearing test. He scored in the moderate hearing loss range. He has fluid in both of his ears and the ENT doc believes this is at the very least worsening the effect and potentially causing all of the hearing loss. His tubes that were inserted in May 2012 fell out of place some time recently. They were in place in April and they were out by his well check 2 weeks ago. He hasn't had a single ear infection since he got the tubes. The ENT said I can either schedule another surgery for ear tubes to keep fluid from his ears and they will additionally remove his adenoids or I can wait 6 weeks and see if the fluid drains and re-check and re-test his hearing. He said it depends on how old the fluid in his ears is, which we cannot tell, only guess. 

So, yeah. What the hell?!


I opted to wait 6 weeks since he has been showing obvious signs of discomfort with his ears this week and his allergies have been really acting up since the season change. I think it's very likely the fluid is fresh, especially since he hasn't had any infection at all. I do not want to put him up to surgery again, nor do I want to pay for surgery again, especially when he hasn't had a single damn ear infection!

Of course, there is the potential outcome that the fluid won't be gone in 6 weeks and I will have delayed everything for naught. 

AND, this only complicates the stupid matter of the school district requiring a flippin' hearing screening before proceeding. 

I am so frustrated. I just sent the speech pathologist a polite, but frustrated email. I still haven't even confirmed if his pediatrician can give me SOMETHING saying he has no signs indicating vision impairment, which again, has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with his speech delay. 

I had hoped that today I would have confirmation from his pedi regarding the vision thing and I would be able to produce a normal hearing screening. Instead, I have no answers and more problems. 

I'm sorry I am complaining so much. I really am. I just want to cry. I don't know what to do or how to help my son. 

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I'm so sorry. :(
I really wish today would have went better for you!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM

It sounds like a really frustrating situation. Hopefully when you go back in six weeks everything will be cleared up with his ears.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM

 I'm sorry, such a frustrating situation!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I know how you feel! But if you go for second set of tubes, reconsider the adenoids. There are serious additional complications with that. We were almost at the second set and had declined the adenoids removal.
mickstinator
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM
What are the complications? He didn't iterate any to me. He said they shrink and basically disappear by adulthood and the removal only causes a day or two of down time.

Quoting deccaf:

I know how you feel! But if you go for second set of tubes, reconsider the adenoids. There are serious additional complications with that. We were almost at the second set and had declined the adenoids removal.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I am sorry.

just to confuse you even more. Both my boys had moderate to significant hearing loss multiple times during screenings. In fact Malachi, just had 4 year check-up and failed the right ear completely. It seems to come and go depending on seasons & allergies. I never regret the decision, that i chose/choose conservative treatment. No permanent hearing damage has resulted yet.

If possible, I would sill insist they screen his speech, while in the midst of the hearing work-up.

Don't feel bad, I have cried buckets over the past 4 years with Malachi, the behavioral counselors, the speech therapists, OT/PT, it's exhausting. Conflicting opinions, lost work time, guilt, it's is so rough! I feel your pain, vent away!
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I have a family member who has speech problems due to adenoids removal. The insertion of tubes is much less risky than the removal of something. It's also a longer, more complicated procedure.


Quoting mickstinator:

What are the complications? He didn't iterate any to me. He said they shrink and basically disappear by adulthood and the removal only causes a day or two of down time.



Quoting deccaf:

I know how you feel! But if you go for second set of tubes, reconsider the adenoids. There are serious additional complications with that. We were almost at the second set and had declined the adenoids removal.

flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM
That sounds so frustrating. I hope the fluid goes away soon. I had so e fluid in my ears recently and they said it was allergies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)