Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What do you consider "processed food"?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 18 Replies

There's a lot of buzz lately about whole foods and processed foods. Just for kicks, what do you consider "processed"? Some people consider anything that comes in a package to be processed, from Hamburger helper to diced tomatoes. Some people consider milk and cheese to be processed.

For me, if the ingredients are things I have at home and can make myself, I don't consider it processed even if I buy it instead of make it. If it has ingredients that I don't have, can't find at the store, never heard of, can't pronounce.....it's processed.

What are your thoughts?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM

To me, if it has preservatives, it is processed.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Everything...
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Not to be a total dumbo, but how is everything processed?

Quoting mrsary:

Everything...

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Not a dumb question... just "seems" like everything is processed. I don't mean it literally.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting mrsary:

Everything...

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

It sure seems like everything is processed. It is getting harder and harder to stay away from processed foods.

Quoting mrsary:

Not a dumb question... just "seems" like everything is processed. I don't mean it literally.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting mrsary:

Everything...

mickstinator
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deccaf:

Yes, I pretty much assume that if there are ingredients I don't recognize/cannot pronounce, it's processed. 

I don't not buy processed foods, but I consider it heavily when purchasing all our groceries. I try to limit its presence in our house. 

kcangel63
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Pretty close to everything. Boxes foods, white sugar, white flour, store bought milk...

Basically, if it's not in it's natural form (or has had to go through a process I couldn't do at home) it's processed.

Milk in the store is processed. It has chemicals, homogenized, and is very not in a natural state.
Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

by definition, almost everything is processed. aside from a fruit or veggie that's eaten after a simple wash, if you have to chop something, isn't that processing? Just playing devil's advocate here. In general, things on regular store shelves are all processed, things on the perimeter are less processed or not processed at a all and should be the bulk of your shopping cart. things like sugar and flour HAVE to be processed, but they don't have to be stripped of their nutrients (white flour and white sugar) so not ALL processed foods are bad, but a lot aren't so good. I'd say the most common processed food we eat at home is pasta. We don't eat a ton of box mixes, but often when we do, they're things we simply wouldn't be able to make at home (ingredients are unavailable or cost prohibitive). 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I am the same - I don't ban processed foods from my house, but I do limit what I buy that is processed.

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting deccaf:

Yes, I pretty much assume that if there are ingredients I don't recognize/cannot pronounce, it's processed. 

I don't not buy processed foods, but I consider it heavily when purchasing all our groceries. I try to limit its presence in our house. 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

This is a great statement.

Quoting kcangel63:

Basically, if it's not in it's natural form (or has had to go through a process I couldn't do at home) it's processed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN