Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another person to blame if your daughter gets pregnant...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

Found on Slate.com  Answer in replies.

Q. Where's the Money?: I am furious with another set of parents. My 16-year-old daughter has recently told her mother and me that she is pregnant. It happened at a party that was not well-supervised, and there was alcohol involved. The boy involved and his family are owning up to their share of the responsibility, but the owners of the house are absolutely infuriating me. They need to admit their share of this burden, as it was their booze and their house party that allowed this to happen. My family is going to have a lot of expenses due to this new baby, and I don't know how much the boy's family can help, so it seems that the party's host should help out, again as it was on their watch that this happened. So far, that family has ignored me when I have tried to speak with them about this. I am ready to call a lawyer to press the issue, but my wife thinks I am overreacting. What do you think?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM

A: I believe this is a yet unexplored avenue of tort law. I am awaiting the television ads for law firms that announce, "Was your daughter knocked up in the basement at a friend's house while the parents were upstairs watching Masters of Sex? You may be entitled to compensation!" Dad, you wouldn't be suing yourself if it happened in your basement while you were out at a football game. Listen to your wife and forget the other parents. The issue here is that a couple of dopey teens are on track to become parents themselves. Your family needs to be seriously addressing this issue and all your options. Perhaps proceeding with the pregnancy is not a good idea. Perhaps if termination is not a possibility, placing the child for adoption is. If your daughter is going to keep the baby, the burden is going to fall on your family. So stop trying to displace your anger and anxiety. It's time to show your daughter how mature parents face tough situations.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Wow people really will sue anyone over anything. How stupid!

Bubbie0809
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

wow! What about just owning the responsibility and not trying to make others who are not responsible, help out? 

I could just get so super sarcastic about this entire thing. 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking! Good grief!

Quoting trfgirl56701:

Wow people really will sue anyone over anything. How stupid!

mickstinator
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Ridiculous.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Crazy!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM

So next, we get car makers sued because there was too much room in the backseat?

flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Haha

Quoting deccaf:

So next, we get car makers sued because there was too much room in the backseat?

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Sigh. Smh
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM
This cannot be real?!? Is it?!?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)