Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I can't believe they mailed this! - UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 19 Replies

We got a letter in the mail (at work) from the local college and Rotary group asking for donations to help offset expenses to bring the Harlem Globetrotters to town. The very first sentence says "We need you help." Um, *your*

Then, after numerous other errors that make for painful reading, they list the different levels:
Platinum Sponser, Gold Sponser, Silver Sponser, and Bronze Sponser.  *Sponsor* They spelled it wrong all 4 times!

This came from a college group! What the heck?! I cannot believe they sent this. I want to get my red pen out, edit it, and send it back.

UPDATE - Unfortunately this is not a scam. I think if it was I would somehow feel better about it but instead, the local college and Rotary group actually did send this letter.

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
There's no way I would donate. I always triple read stuff I plan giving to others. And I usually ask someone else to read it because we don't always catch our own mistakes.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I would definitely get your red pen out.  And attach a note that says "When you can send out a proper request letter, I will consider donating money.  At this time, I feel my money would be better spent on education, not entertainment."

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I agree with Decca. That's just ridiculous! It's not like spell check is that hard to figure out...

Quoting deccaf:

I would definitely get your red pen out.  And attach a note that says "When you can send out a proper request letter, I will consider donating money.  At this time, I feel my money would be better spent on education, not entertainment."

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I would totally fix it and send it back lol there's no way I would donate

mickstinator
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yeah, I would have a hard time helping out a school wanting a bunch of athletes to come by who cannot use basic grammar and spelling.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

OUCH! I wouldn't donate either.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Unless you call the rotary group i would assume this is a scam.  Someone just sent out a formal looking letter asking for donations to get money that has nothing to do with the college or rotary group.  

amazingspice
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

They need to get a spell check system

Cindy18
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Lazyd. It's a scam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I agree with scam unless you know the groups and can verify the submission avenue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN