Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We're all busy right - why does it have to be a contest?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son and I play in the community band and our concert was last night.  During intermission I was chatting with someone who sits in my section.  She was talking about how she doesn't have time to practice because, after all, she works full time and has a part time job as well.

I didn't even bring up my job/life - I just listened and showed appropriate understanding.

Later, we were talking again and I mentioned that I'll likely be changing jobs, blah, blah, blah, and then my son interrupted to ask if he could have one of the last pieces of cheesecake when we get home.  I said sure, and she asked if I made it.  I said yes, and some cookies too...

and then she got all snippy and said "must be nice.  I'm just too busy to bake.  I work far too much to have time for stuff like that".

Her kids are grown by the way.

I don't know, it just annoyed me that she insinuated that she's SO much busier than I am or that I must have an "easy" life if I had time to bake, etc.  The whole tone just put me off.  (By the way I had baked Saturday morning and was done by 9:00am).

Have you ever encountered something similar?  Indirect 'jabs' that seem to be intended to belittle or put you down?

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It should never be a contest!  Yes, I am busy, but I still find time to bake with DD, go on little trips (like this weekend's trip), attend school, keep my house clean, cook a healthy dinner (nearly) every night, etc.  I think it's all in what you find important. 

I don't usually get "jabs".  I get people wondering how I do it.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

PEOPLE. I don't get it. Making jabs like that just makes a person look petty and defensive for not doing more. It's like picking on the kid with the highest grade in the class. Just dumb! : (

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I have a coworker who is a single mom of a 14 year old. But I swear, anytime I tell her about a tough time I'm having with my soon-to-be 5 year old daughter, she just twists her face as if to say "that's nothing, just wait, it gets SO much worse" but what I realize is that she's jealous that I have a partner in raising my child. her exh left when her son was about 3, and he quit paying child support about 5 years ago, wasn't much to start with, but anything helps! but it doesn't make it better than I really understand where she's coming from, being a rude friend is just being a rude friend. There are times when she tells me things and I just think "you could be a MOM and not a best friend" but I know it'll fall on deaf ears, ya know? But yeah, life is what you make of it, and if she wanted to bake or practice, she'd MAKE time for it. 

Mount_St_Mama
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Oh I dislike people like that. Booo

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM

super frustrating!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Crabby people exist. It is annoying!
jessijames911
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Yes, how do you do it??? LOL.

My house drives me crazy, feel like I don't have time to keep it clean (hence my post, I need help!). But I do still find time to play with my girls, bake cakes with them, take them to new places, etc (maybe why the house isn't perfect).

Everyone's gotta have their priorities.

Quoting deccaf:

It should never be a contest!  Yes, I am busy, but I still find time to bake with DD, go on little trips (like this weekend's trip), attend school, keep my house clean, cook a healthy dinner (nearly) every night, etc.  I think it's all in what you find important

I don't usually get "jabs".  I get people wondering how I do it.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yes, and crap like that just makes me dislike people in general. HA!

My favorite is that because 4 of the kids are my stepkids, that I don't have to do anything for them. You know, they live with us but they don't generate laundry or require meals or transportation or anything like my BIO kid does. Where do people get these crazy ideas?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)