Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What do I do about this???

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

So, I received my formal offer letter along with benefit info, etc.  Everything looks good EXCEPT that the benefits don't kick in until I've worked for them for 2 months!

I know this policy exists in the world, but I've never encountered it.  Any job I've ever had (and Dh has ever had) started benefits on day one...but now there will be a 2-month gap of coverage.

I know COBRA exists, but I understand it to be crazy expensive...

How do people normal handle situations like this?  Do you thing the benefit start date would be a negotiable item?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Also, I get 3 weeks LESS vacation than I have now!!  I have 5 weeks now...I'll get 2 weeks at the new job.  This is upsetting.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I went without insurance those few weeks. Luckily no one got sick so it wasn't a problem.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
That would bother me. Do you think you'd be able to get them to give you another week?

Quoting the3Rs:

Also, I get 3 weeks LESS vacation than I have now!!  I have 5 weeks now...I'll get 2 weeks at the new job.  This is upsetting.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

What about pre-existing conditions?  I'm not even sure what qualifies as 'pre-existing' or if it would be an issue...I have no experience with this stuff.

My middle son has asthma, my DH and I are on daily meds for certain conditions...would a break in coverage cause a problem getting those things covered on a new plan?

Quoting cjsmom1:

I went without insurance those few weeks. Luckily no one got sick so it wasn't a problem.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I have no idea - I can certainly try.

Quoting cjsmom1:

That would bother me. Do you think you'd be able to get them to give you another week?

Quoting the3Rs:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Don't worry - health insurance start dates and vacation time is always negotiable. Call the person who offered you the job and request that they allow you to join their health insurance plan upon hire, and also request 5 weeks of vacation since that is what you currently have. It can all be done. When I worked in HR, this was done all the time as part of the hiring/negotiation process.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I still don't get places that make you wait for insurance, my company still does, first of the month after you start, so it could be 1 day or 30 days, silly! But I would totally negotiate for the vacation. again, I have never understood how they think people who have been in their career for years/decades are going to be ok with settling back to a starting level of benefits. not to say you should get benefits based on your age or something, but really, that's a LOT of benefit loss. I'd state that you get 5 weeks now and are not satisfied with the 2 weeks they offer. How quickly does that ramp up? at my company, it takes a while (but we start at 3 weeks, then go to 4 at 5 years, then 5 at 15 years) but my DH's company, he started at 2 weeks for the first year, then 3 weeks for 2 years, then he'll be at 4 weeks 2 years later or something like that. But it's true, those things are negotiated ALL THE TIME.
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I just encountered this in january while pregnant. you have 60 days to sign up for cobra from the date your current insurance expires and is retro coverage as long as you pay for it. Most insurance covers you to months end no matter when you quit. My last day was january 7th. My insurance went to january 31st. My new insurance didnt start until april 1. However that was only 57 days. I kept the cobra paperwork signed with instruction to dh to submit if anything happened. Our new insurance also had the caveat that it wasn't preexisting if less than 60 days lapse in coverage. it went smooth and I was fully covered without cobra
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I don't remember how long I had to wait, but I'm pretty sure it was 90 days. I just went the 90 days without insurance and prayed nothing happened!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
You can also negotiate a hiring bonus to cover the cost of cobra
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)