Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Bad parenting on my part........

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my newly turned 6 yo has a friend, C that lives down the block. I cannot see the house from my yard. I know his parents; they are a sweet family. DS and C want to play together EVERYDAY. So eventually with late stages of pregnancy, I caved and said, just look both ways and walk yourself down to his house. C's parents let him do the same.

Well, NOW I have a KGer that is just running loose around the neighborhood. He pretty much has found this huge gang of children, most of them older. I have strange kids, I do not know in and out of my house A LOT which is not that big of deal, so obviously my child is not alone in this behavior. BUT I literally will lose my child and not know his where-abouts for short periods of time. He said he was going to go play cops and robbers in someone's back yard, and well he's not there. My DH is going to look for him. I find it hard to meet all the parents to even get a feel of the families he is playing with.....

I hate the fact that I have to continue to discipline my child for trying to be social, and for being an innocent child (my DH and I ran freely like this as children all the time) engaging in physical activity, running from house to house. But the flip side, it's just bad parenting in 2013 to not know where to find your 6yo.

I am really torn on what to do......... I wish I could put a tracker on his shoe, lol. I am literally toying with making him a carry a walkie talkie, haha, but I think the older kids might make fun of him!!
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM
That's tough. Keep reminding him of the importance of you knowing where he is. My ds is 8 and doesn't go outside by himself, but I live in a bad area.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM
We live is a "safe" suburb, but you know it only takes one time for something to go wrong. You don't want to parent in fear, but you can't ignore safety either.

Quoting cjsmom1:

That's tough. Keep reminding him of the importance of you knowing where he is. My ds is 8 and doesn't go outside by himself, but I live in a bad area.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM
haha. RFID him. You are a good mom and forttunate to have a neighborhood of children. our boys have a similar neighborhood here and since you will be home for a few weeks you will get to know every one of the kids. esp if you have good snacks and juice boxes
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM
You're right. It's hard to find the right balance. We need to teach our kids independence while trying to make sure they stay safe.

Quoting Marti123:

We live is a "safe" suburb, but you know it only takes one time for something to go wrong. You don't want to parent in fear, but you can't ignore safety either.

Quoting cjsmom1:

mickstinator
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I am dealing with exactly the same thing right now, down to my kindergartener being the youngest of the bunch, which adds another complication.

I am trying to figure out the right balance of independence and safety. It's no easy feat. Don't beat yourself up too much. I think this is a really typical phase of childhood.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Glad I am not alone.

We found him 45 minutes later at another boys house today!! My DH met the other Dad at least.

Quoting mickstinator:

I am dealing with exactly the same thing right now, down to my kindergartener being the youngest of the bunch, which adds another complication.

I am trying to figure out the right balance of independence and safety. It's no easy feat. Don't beat yourself up to much. I think this is a really typical phase of childhood.

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM
We grew up in a safe neighborhood and still had to let someone know of our whereabouts. If we said we were going outside, if an adult came outside and stood on the front porch, we HAD to be visible from that point. We knew not to go in anyone's house or backyard without permission first.

I believe that just because one lives in a safe neighborhood, Doesn't mean bad people can't get in.

I do see how you feel though. It's not the same as back in the days. Or at least it seems that way.

Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN