Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Negotiation tips?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have a call first thing in the morning with my prospective boss to discuss the salary/benefits package they are offering.  I will be attempting to negotiate a few things and have never done this beofre, so I would LOVE any input, tips, examples, etc.!

TIA

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM
is there a reasonable salary point at which the benefits deficits are neutralized for you? Or would paying Cobra ( or at least their employer share towards Cobra ) till your benefits kick in with them be sufficient? I remember your saying the salary is a 9% hike but you may be losing that in out of pocket medical costs. Find the three or four points for salary, benefits, time off for which any one would make you say yes without much hesitation and stick to it. If they offer you at first a bump in salary that wont quite meet your need say its something you would consider but your benefits are still at a wide gap from my current coverage and my out of pocket especially with Cobra will negate that salary point- and go after more contribution on medical. dont belabor it. If its not going well tell them thank you. if they really want you they will be back in contact with you pretty quick . if they arent then your current position is still there.
JeremysMom
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I am doing the same thing tomorrow morning as well. Good luck to you!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Thank you so much! You're right that any increase in salary ends up being a wash with the deficit in benefits.

I do have a 'package' in mind that would make me say yes, but I don't know how to ask...what do I say? How do I say it??

Quoting calsmom62:

is there a reasonable salary point at which the benefits deficits are neutralized for you? Or would paying Cobra ( or at least their employer share towards Cobra ) till your benefits kick in with them be sufficient? I remember your saying the salary is a 9% hike but you may be losing that in out of pocket medical costs. Find the three or four points for salary, benefits, time off for which any one would make you say yes without much hesitation and stick to it. If they offer you at first a bump in salary that wont quite meet your need say its something you would consider but your benefits are still at a wide gap from my current coverage and my out of pocket especially with Cobra will negate that salary point- and go after more contribution on medical. dont belabor it. If its not going well tell them thank you. if they really want you they will be back in contact with you pretty quick . if they arent then your current position is still there.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
after the niceties and sepending on the tone of the conversation, you could say something like " I'm excited and looking forward to this position but the benefits package presented to me is not competitive with my current situation. Are you open to some discussion on this?". and go from there with your points

Quoting the3Rs:

Thank you so much! You're right that any increase in salary ends up being a wash with the deficit in benefits.

I do have a 'package' in mind that would make me say yes, but I don't know how to ask...what do I say? How do I say it??

Quoting calsmom62:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Love that! Thanks :)

Quoting calsmom62:

after the niceties and sepending on the tone of the conversation, you could say something like " I'm excited and looking forward to this position but the benefits package presented to me is not competitive with my current situation. Are you open to some discussion on this?". and go from there with your points

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting calsmom62:

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM
good luck today. !!!!!!!
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This

Quoting calsmom62:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

How did it go?? Were they open to discussions?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel that it went well.  They were receptive to what I was saying, and they are waiting on approval to adjust the offer to one that I would be able to accept.  I should hear something tomorrow morning.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM
That's great! Hopefully the letter tomorrow is satisfactory.

Quoting the3Rs:

I feel that it went well.  They were receptive to what I was saying, and they are waiting on approval to adjust the offer to one that I would be able to accept.  I should hear something tomorrow morning.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)