Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I'm not volunteering again

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 19 Replies
I signed up to be team mom for ds's football team and will not do it again. I was told all I have to do is arrange snack and call parents if there's a change in location of the game. I've had to provide snacks and drinks twice because the parent that was supposed to bring it didn't. Then they started talking about doing their first haunted house. I was informed on Saturday that I'm in charge of the entire thing along with 2 other parents. I now need to ask parents to donate so we can make 400 goodie bags for all the kids. All this on top of working. There's no way I'm doing this again. Vent over
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyDiva19
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
It only took me one time to volunteer lol When the Cub Scout leader for the kids quit, I decided to volunteer.

I quit about 2 weeks later lol it was too much stress
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my. That would be super frustrating. I don't blame you for being upset about it. Ugh
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this
you need a community group buddy. you and your buddy attend meetings together and when you feel your hand raising up to volunteer your buddy is there to slap it down. Of course you have to do the same thing for her
Seriously get 10 bucks from every parent and four volunteers to help you stuff the bags one evening over wine and chocolate.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I loved being a scout leader. I did it for about 5 months before the pack closed.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

It only took me one time to volunteer lol When the Cub Scout leader for the kids quit, I decided to volunteer.

I quit about 2 weeks later lol it was too much stress

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I wish it were than simple. Half these parents don't even show up to the kids games or practices.

Quoting calsmom62:

you need a community group buddy. you and your buddy attend meetings together and when you feel your hand raising up to volunteer your buddy is there to slap it down. Of course you have to do the same thing for her

Seriously get 10 bucks from every parent and four volunteers to help you stuff the bags one evening over wine and chocolate.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Thats too bad. send an envelope with every kud abd email parents. you rarely get 100% participation. but is the league finAncing the haunted house because they will need to cover goodie bag cost if donations dont meet the need.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM
That's part of my frustration, everything needs to be donated or we won't have it. hThere's three of us doing everything right now. Apparently half the parents knew nothing about it.

Quoting calsmom62:

Thats too bad. send an envelope with every kud abd email parents. you rarely get 100% participation. but is the league finAncing the haunted house because they will need to cover goodie bag cost if donations dont meet the need.

heather77g
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Ouch! That's why it's so hard for me to volunteer anymore. Because I know in the end it's usually taken for granet. ((HUGS)) Good luck with making it through  the season

sonnyswoman75
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Wow! You think other parents would help out more and do their part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illogicalkat
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

That sucks. Do you at least have a contact list for all the parents?

If half the parents knew nothing about it, then announcing that it has to be canceled due to non-participation should not come as a shock. (Emphasis on "should;" there are always some people that get angry about things like this. You can probably predict which ones they'll be, too.)
You could send out an update, like "So far we have XXX towards this event, we still need XXX by this date or this will not happen." And it's ok to call the parents and tell them, "I've noticed you haven't contributed towards this event yet. We need XXX or it won't happen, and your child was so excited about it. It would be a shame to disappoint him."

Quoting cjsmom1:

That's part of my frustration, everything needs to be donated or we won't have it. hThere's three of us doing everything right now. Apparently half the parents knew nothing about it.

Quoting calsmom62:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN