Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

You know you are a working mom when...

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 15 Replies
4 moms liked this

taken from mommyshorts.com

You've poured out your purse to find a pen in a meeting and a pair of My Little Pony underpants fell out.

You think "the gym" is still a place where people exercise but you can't be sure because you haven't gone in three plus years.

You've used your pumping schedule to get out of a ridiculously boring meeting.

You've said "I have to take my kid to the doctor" so many times, you're sure your boss thinks you are lying, even though it has been true every time. 

You've tried and failed to have a meaningful conversation with a toddler over Skype on a business trip. 

You drink more coffee than when you were studying for finals back in college.

You've spent half the day at the office before realizing you have an Elmo sticker stuck to the back of your shirt.

You have three sets of clothes: things I wear at home, things I wear out at night and work clothes that allow me to pump in the lactation room without getting fully naked. 

You've wrestled your leg away from your child before sadly walking out the door. 

You've been stuck in a car with co-workers on the way back from a client when someone asked if anyone had snacks. You replied, "Snacks?! Of course I have snacks!" Then pulled out plastic baggies full of goldfish and applesauce squeezies for everyone.

You've been knocked over by the love of an overly enthusiastic toddler screaming "Mooooommmmmieeeee!!!!!" when you walk in the door at the end of the day. 

You've been totally ignored when you walk in the door, forcing you to approach your apathetic three-year-old and say, "What? No hello?"

You know that closing the zipper compartment around the motor of your breast pump will make the pumping noise low enough to participate in a conference call.

You've infected your entire office with a preschool stomach virus.

You were late to work because you dropped your kid off for school totally fogetting it was "Pajama Day" and then prioritized going back home to get your child pajamas over whatever it was you had to do at work.

At least one of your male co-workers have seen your breasts. And not due to a torrid office affair.

You've shouted in an open office full of people, "YOU POOPED IN THE POTTY??? THAT'S AMAZING!!!"

In addition to playing princesses and superheroes, your daughter plays "going to work" which consists of pretending to type on a computer while yelling "I said, give me a second!" 

You've bribed your child with cookies and Toy Story so she'll leave you alone while you conduct a business call from your bedroom.

You've laughed at the 22-year-old junior employees when they complained about being "so tired" after one late night out. Amateurs.

You were asked to volunteer for a school function and could barely contain your laughter.

You've felt guilty for leaving your kids on a particularly rough morning because you had to go to work.

You've felt guilty for leaving your team before a project was finished because you had to go home to see your kids.

You've thought numerous times about what it would be like to stay at home, but ultimately, whether it be because you love your work, you need the money or you wouldn't be happy home all day with the kids, you know this is the best decision for your family.

Add yours.

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jujubear1
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk if this counts, but I was accidentally called by my dd's name today. And I had not been talking about her.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Those are great!!!! LOL!!

Some of mine are repeats from previous posts.....

You have referred to yourself in third person at work, as in, "mommy can pick that up" when a co-worker drops something.

Your working lunch consists of a frozen smuckers PB & J, juice box, carrot sticks, and a piece of fruit with fruit snacks (because yes, that's what you have on hand at home.)

You wear only flats to professional engagements now, because you have realized it is dangerous and could result in serious injury to balance two or three children on your body in a killer pair of heels.

When you converse with childless people at work much, you have to avoid the natural tendency to start staring at them in disbelief and wonder (as in you no longer understand or relate to this strange being)

When co-workers start with annoying behavior or whining, you blurt out a warning and start the 123 count-down, with "that's one..." Before you realize, you do not have authority to place them in time out.

Prior to departure for the day you have gathered and prepared a purse, diaper bag, breast pump, several lunch bags, and several backpacks, and nap blankets.

You are envious of your toddler and pre-schooler because they get to take naps. Why can't I take an afternoon nap?

Your co-worker gets a papercut and you try to kiss her boo-boo and give her an assortment of character band-aids to choose from.....

flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Hehe I totally use pumping to cut my meetings with my boss short.
iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE the one about talking about pooping in the potty!  I've had that conversation over the phone many times!

You know you're a working mom when you look at a co-worker and tell them to use their nice manners.

Your co-workers are talking about all the new movies and the only thing you can add is, So, yeah, who saw the latest Disney animation? 

You look at your shirt sleeve and wonder if you should be late for the meeting or be on time, but soiled.

You negotiate with your toddler about all the reasons pre-school is so much more fun than work.

You pray no one notices you snuck out 30 minutes early so your child would make it to a sporting event on time.

jessijames911
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG, negotiating about how school is more fun with work - but it's with my 6 year old (who is going on 18 lol). But seriously, this one is the best:

You've been knocked over by the love of an overly enthusiastic toddler screaming "Mooooommmmmieeeee!!!!!" when you walk in the door at the end of the day.   Makes my day, every time :)

Quoting iansmommy9:

I LOVE the one about talking about pooping in the potty!  I've had that conversation over the phone many times!

You know you're a working mom when you look at a co-worker and tell them to use their nice manners.

Your co-workers are talking about all the new movies and the only thing you can add is, So, yeah, who saw the latest Disney animation? 

You look at your shirt sleeve and wonder if you should be late for the meeting or be on time, but soiled.

You negotiate with your toddler about all the reasons pre-school is so much more fun than work.

You pray no one notices you snuck out 30 minutes early so your child would make it to a sporting event on time.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Love those!

You take your daughter to dance class and throw her dance shoes and other supplies in your giant purse because you're in too much of a hurry to find the dance bag, and when you take them out to put them on at dance, one of them has an old shopping list and a penny in it.

That qualifies for any mom I'm sure, but it was a recent occurrence, so I had to share.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

LMAO!  Those are great and true!

You save days off specifically for pre-school functions.  I normally would not take a day off in the middle of the week.

Vacation planning means figuring out if the place you are going has some kind of pool or kiddie amusement park nearby.  Heck, you plan vacations around Sesame Street, Disney characters, etc...

ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I can totally relate to the movie comment.  I can't remember the last time I have seen an "R" rated movie in the movie theatre.  My two youngest are 10 & 12. 

Quoting iansmommy9:

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM

You add juice boxes to your own lunch.I have had my co workers look at me and I like what apple juice is good.

ninamsi
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

My two youngest kids are now in middle school and I still save my days for them.  I used most of my vacation time this summer helping out at the summer camp at church because it was for half a day. 

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

LMAO!  Those are great and true!

You save days off specifically for pre-school functions.  I normally would not take a day off in the middle of the week.

Vacation planning means figuring out if the place you are going has some kind of pool or kiddie amusement park nearby.  Heck, you plan vacations around Sesame Street, Disney characters, etc...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN