Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthcare at work and the healthcare marketplace

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 53 Replies

Do you have healthcare insurance through your work? How is your coverage vs what you pay? Have you checked out what is offered on the marketplace the government started?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by Marie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I do have insurance through my work. It is really good insurance-at a fairly low bi-monthly cost. My only issue is that they don't cover as many doctors in my area as I would like.

My husband's job offers it but they pay very little of the premium and the deductibles are fairly high- anywhere from 1200-5500, depending on what you want but it covers all the doctors we have used previously.

I did check out the marketplace- Ha-it's a joke.

For a family of 5-all who are healthy there was one option for $759 or something close to that with a $12K deductible. Who can afford that?

mickstinator
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM

we have decent coverage through my husband's work, so we have not checked into the marketplace. texas' was not set up well in advance at all, so i doubt it would be a good alternative to what we already have, at least at this moment. 

we have a PPO plan through BCBS. once we reach our deductible, we pay 20% of expenses. they also give us a credit for our deductible for some reason. i don't know why they don't just lower the deductible. this is the most confusing plan we've had in the last 5 years with his company. 

ablox
by Aisha on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I do not have health insurance through my job and cannot get onto the marketplace because the GA portion sucks and keeps telling me the server is busy. I did look for us some insurance through a regular area that compares many but it was 353 a month with a $12K deductible for us 3 :( I am going to look through DH work but if we cannot afford that either we will just pay the fine.

funhappymom
by Marie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Quoting ablox:

I do not have health insurance through my job and cannot get onto the marketplace because the GA portion sucks and keeps telling me the server is busy. I did look for us some insurance through a regular area that compares many but it was 353 a month with a $12K deductible for us 3 :( I am going to look through DH work but if we cannot afford that either we will just pay the fine.

The marketplace doesn't get much better than that. There are some better options-like we can get full coverage-no deductible, low co-pays for just under $1K a month. That is about 2.5 times what we currently pay though. And because both my employer and DH's employer offer insurance we do not qualify for subsidies. Though I do have to wonder how much the subsidies are. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I do have insurance through work, and we are about to find out in about 10 minutes how much it's going up this year

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Dh covers the whole family.  Our insurance at work has sucked pretty bad even before Obamacare.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I do have insurance from my employer (and from my soon-to-be new employer).  It's better than anything I could ever get on the "marketplace".

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM

WTH??  That's INSANE.  I'd rather just pay the full doctor bill that I could make payments on if needed...which is why I DON'T agree with forcing everyone to have insurance - how exactly is this "affordable"???

Quoting funhappymom:

I do have insurance through my work. It is really good insurance-at a fairly low bi-monthly cost. My only issue is that they don't cover as many doctors in my area as I would like.

My husband's job offers it but they pay very little of the premium and the deductibles are fairly high- anywhere from 1200-5500, depending on what you want but it covers all the doctors we have used previously.

For a family of 5-all who are healthy there was one option for $759 or something close to that with a $12K deductible. Who can afford that?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Ooo...suspense!  Come back and tell us!

Quoting leahbeah143:

I do have insurance through work, and we are about to find out in about 10 minutes how much it's going up this year

funhappymom
by Marie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

IDK. and the hoops you have to go through in order to just see the quotes is ridic. There were some better options but honestly it's not affordable at all. How could it be when everyone pays the same whether they're healthy or sick?

Quoting the3Rs:

WTH??  That's INSANE.  I'd rather just pay the full doctor bill that I could make payments on if needed...which is why I DON'T agree with forcing everyone to have insurance - how exactly is this "affordable"???

Quoting funhappymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)