Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Working & kids in school

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

For you ladies who have a 9-5 outside of the home work schedule, how do your kids get home from school? After ds is born & we can enroll him in full-time day care, dh & I were considering putting dd in pre-school but I have no idea how she'd get home if neither dh nor I were off work in time. I don't have family nearby to pick her up & I'm not sure if I could ask one of our neighbors to pick her up & watch her until dh or I could get off work. What do you ladies do?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My son goes to an after school program that is at the school. It is $5 per day for him to stay there. They are open until 6 pm. There is also a Boys and Girls Club that sends buses and vans to pick up kids from the area schools and then take them back to the club. Also, a local daycare offers after school care for certain schools. They pick up the students from school as well. I would check your area to see if they offer those things.

JMCorbin84
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Those are all great ideas! Thanks so much, it's all so new to me & most of the parents I know have kids younger than my dd, so they've never been through the school stuff yet.

Quoting JeremysMom:

My son goes to an after school program that is at the school. It is $5 per day for him to stay there. They are open until 6 pm. There is also a Boys and Girls Club that sends buses and vans to pick up kids from the area schools and then take them back to the club. Also, a local daycare offers after school care for certain schools. They pick up the students from school as well. I would check your area to see if they offer those things.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Our preschool is essentially a daycare, they ave a great curriculum, but are open from 7am to 6pm.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Oh and my KGer went to Ycare before & after school (ran by the local YMCA).
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

When DS was in pre-school, it was at the daycare, so no transportation. Once he started preK at the grade school, though, there was no transportation between school and daycare. A couple other moms and I started a carpool. We'd take a week at a time and haul the kids from school to daycare. They were in morning preK.

Once he started Kindergarten, he went all day. There is an after school program at the school that is open until 6. They charge $20 per week and do snacks, help with homework, and have an activity schedule for movies, tag, legos, crafts, etc. DS loves it!

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Most church based or private preschools have a before and after school program that are pretty reasonably priced. My son has had to do that occassionally and it helped alot. They are usually there until 6pm.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM
find a preschool with hours to 630. then find someone to be emergency backup. it could possibly be a teacher or aide at the preschool since lots of the early childhood teachers are young and might appreciate some babysitting cash.
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I have this same dilemma right now. I'll be paying attention to the answers.

smorgan865
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM
We are also trying to figure it out.

School runs 8:50 to 3:35.

I work 8:30 - 5:30 and DH works 7:30 - 4 (for the school district actually...) he's going to see if he can switch to 7:00-3:30 so he can get over there and pick him up, but I REALLY don't want to work like 9-6. UGH that just sucks getting home so late. But DH doesn't want to pay for a before school program. 1) they start at $10/day. And 2) I'm a little leery of someone else driving him to school every day in something that's not a school bus. Most daycares around here have minivans.

The elementary school is literally 2 blocks from our house, so bus stop is not an option (that would buffer some time because he'd have to ride around to the other stops....
JMCorbin84
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Sounds like everything worked out great for you guys, I'll def be checking into after school programs. Maybe if I agree to take my lunch really late, I can get off and go pick dd up and get her to daycare or wherever she needs to go until I can get home from work. I was really looking forward to getting back into the work field when dd went to school but I hadn't figured in the schedules, lol.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

When DS was in pre-school, it was at the daycare, so no transportation. Once he started preK at the grade school, though, there was no transportation between school and daycare. A couple other moms and I started a carpool. We'd take a week at a time and haul the kids from school to daycare. They were in morning preK.

Once he started Kindergarten, he went all day. There is an after school program at the school that is open until 6. They charge $20 per week and do snacks, help with homework, and have an activity schedule for movies, tag, legos, crafts, etc. DS loves it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)