Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Going back to work after 12 years?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am almost to the point where after 12 years raising babies I finally will be getting my youngest in school..My ? is how do I go back to work with a 12 year employment gap and are there any skills or training I should take before jumping back in. ( it would have to be from home) I previously did office assistant type jobs and processed some medical claims etc. but its been a really long time any advice and info would be so helpful.

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd look into office programs like word, excel, etc. I'm sure you can find some online tutorials to get you up to speed. Maybe even try your community college or unemployment office to see what job training they offer
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to go back to school for sure. If you did any type of volunteer work in those 12 yrs, you can use that as experience and then you may not have to go to school.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Not to be discouraging but when I was let go cuz the company I was working for closed, it took me a little over 2 years to find a job again!  I use to work full time for an insurance company making over $17 an hour.  For the last two years i have worked in a middle school cafeteria part time makin $9 an hour.  It's the only thing i could find.  I have a bachelor's degree even.  And just cuz i had that two year gap no one wanted me and assumed that i didn't know what to do with computers.  I just had to move to TX cuz of a divorce and left my job.  I can not find anything full time - companies are only hiring part time so they don't have to pay for health care and other full time benefits, etc.  I work for $8 an hour now.  I can't find anything cuz technically i am now over 4 years from working in my "field".  Although i am very experienced and older, companies don't want that anymore i guess.  But i would suggest you going back to school cuz companies look for certificates (that not even my bachelors degree qualifies for!).  You have to be specific in your certificates, like excel or windows or outlook.  Good luck to you.  I use to live in CO and they didn't have any jobs and neither does TX.  

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
What field are you looking to get into? Maybe take a couple courses at your local library or community college. One your resume put any volunteer work you may have done den leader (cub scouts), team mom, volunteering in the kids classrooms
Ravenwv
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

i really wanted to go to school for medical coding but my mother played favorites and wouldnt watch my kid (even though i asked first) instead she is keepin my brothers baby for a lot longer than i asked her to watch mine ugh so i have to wait until mine gets in school to do anything and we really need the extra money that a job would bring..irks me that i would have been out of school and working by now......

JessiFaye
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You can look into classes and certificate programs for computer programs like Microsoft Office Suite and the like. That would look good on your resume in place of recent work experience!
christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Can you dedicated coding classes from home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)