Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Open house

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
Tonight was Logan's open house for pre-k and it made me sad. Mostly because with my work schedule I can't pick him up or drop him off ever. SO or my aunt does it. I'm not used not being involved and seeing his teachers and friends parents regularly. I'd like to get to know some of the other moms but I dont have an opportunity too without setting up play dates on weekends. Just makes me sad. I feel so disconnected from what's happening at school (he's in prek and already starts with the I don't knows when we talk about his day). How have you guys dealt with this before?
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:43 AM

DS is still in preschool, but we try to talk about his day over dinner or if we are sitting in the floor playing, or even at bedtime.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry you're feeling bad about this.  :(  As for not being available - I completely understand.  While I am able to attend open houses and evening events, I can't be a "room mom" or go on field trips and I often feel guilty.  Not sure there's really a solution for that.

As for the "I don't know's" try to ask open ended yet guided questions.  Rather than "how was class today" - ask "what songs did you sing today?"  "Who did you play with at recess and what did you play?"  etc.  Basically asking questions that require more than a one word response.

We also play high/low at dinner - tell me the best and worst part of your day and then we ask clarifying questions - it really beefs up the conversation.

ablox
by Aisha on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Sorry you feel this way :(  Dont feel to bad my mom asked what dd's teachers name was at daycare and I had no idea :(  I drop her off so early and pick her up so late that I ahve honestly never met her. Hoping I can get better before she gets older.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I do this with DS. If I as him, "How was your day?" It was "fine." If I ask "What did you do today?" Recess, lunch...If I ask, "What did you learn?" It was "nothing, we just reviewed."

Now I ask: What was the most exciting thing you did today? Who is your favorite character in the book that your class is reading? What was your favorite part about....Those questions (well, the answers really) lead to more questions and conversation.

Quoting the3Rs:

As for the "I don't know's" try to ask open ended yet guided questions.  Rather than "how was class today" - ask "what songs did you sing today?"  "Who did you play with at recess and what did you play?"  etc.  Basically asking questions that require more than a one word response.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I feel the same. I drop ds off at daycare so I'm connected but school starts later so dh does drop off and pick up. I always try to ask guided questions though. What was snack? What stations did you play at? Songs? Stories?
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yes, I'm a single mom so when DD was little I had to work, I didn't have a lot of vacation days, and I never got to be involved in her classrooms ever. The good news is that I am able to be more involved now - better late than never right?

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It really is hard. I would get his teachers email address so you can speak to them whenever you may need to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)