Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Have you considered moving to cut commute time?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

Dh and I keep talking about moving. We'd ultimately like to trim drive time off somewhere, whether it would be to his commute or to our commute to church. Unfortunately, the only real way to do that is to switch school districts.

While I am not in love with our district-My boys do good here, most of their friends are here and we have friends nearby plus all their after school activities are in this area except church.

We'd also like to move to at least an acre of land with a ranch house on a full basement. We would need/want 4 bedrooms and ranch homes are hard to come by in this area in 4 bedrooms.

I keep checking home for sale in our district and also the other two districts that would cut commuting and there is nothing that even interests me, lol.

Have you considered moving to cut commuting times?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM

No. My commute is only 4 1/2 miles. DH's drive to work is less than 1 mile. Doesn't get much shorter than that. And due to his custody arrangement, he cannot move out of district anyway, so we're stuck for 3 1/2 more years.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I wouldn't mind living closer to work, but my commute isn't that bad right now.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Not necessarily for the commute, but we talk about moving all the time, but I don't see us ever going through with it, LOL. :)

Quoting funhappymom:

Dh and I keep talking about moving. We'd ultimately like to trim drive time off somewhere, whether it would be to his commute or to our commute to church. Unfortunately, the only real way to do that is to switch school districts.

While I am not in love with our district-My boys do good here, most of their friends are here and we have friends nearby plus all their after school activities are in this area except church.

We'd also like to move to at least an acre of land with a ranch house on a full basement. We would need/want 4 bedrooms and ranch homes are hard to come by in this area in 4 bedrooms.

I keep checking home for sale in our district and also the other two districts that would cut commuting and there is nothing that even interests me, lol.

Have you considered moving to cut commuting times?

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Partly for the commute, but we DO talk about moving.  We live in NYC so our commute is a nightmare.  I take the train to work and it can take about an hour.  DH has to drive in to work and it can take him anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours and we live about 10 miles from where he works!  We'd love to get out of this area altogether, however, we're tied here due to DH's job.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I've been in that place since I was a child. That's suburbia living for you! We have constantly sought to find the right balance between the school commute (I attended private school as a child), church commute, and work commute. 

Now, my kids go to public schools, so we don't have that facet to consider. Church doesn't play as important of a role in my life now compared to my childhood. But we do have to find a balance between my husband's university and both of our jobs. I have the worst of it, with a work commute that is an hour. : / Unfortunately, moving closer to my work is both financially imprudent and simply impractical for the other areas of our life. I look forward to the day when I can quit my current job and get one closer to home. 

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Well, I live less than 5 miles from my office and DH is at about 15 miles, but that's the job he got after his job in the big city nearby (he rode the bus to) was gone. I'd never consider moving to be closer to his job, it only takes about 20-25 minutes for him to get there and it can take me 15 to get to mine if I hit all the lights wrong. Overall, we have short commutes. BUT if I felt secure in my job and lived further away, I'd consider moving closer. In our area, you just have to plant yourself and hope you can find something a reasonable distance from where that is.

drsdolphin
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

We just did a couple months ago. We are now closer to work, school, and church. We have had my son in the same school district. Last year we moved into a little rental but it was on the border and the school district was a different one. We had to do the school of choice paper work. We were also way back in the middle of nowhere. And did not like propane because it was so expensive. We are now back in the school district and no longer have propane and do not have to battle the horrible winter backroads.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

We're actually within walking distance to DS's school. My job is a 20 minute drive and DH's job is 30 minutes or so away. We've never lived closer to our jobs than that except before we got married when we were 5 minutes from my job.

funhappymom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Quoting trfgirl56701:

We're actually within walking distance to DS's school. My job is a 20 minute drive and DH's job is 30 minutes or so away. We've never lived closer to our jobs than that except before we got married when we were 5 minutes from my job.

Our kids used to be within walking distance until they closed the school down a couple of years ago. Now they're on the bus for 30 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon. The school's only 13 minutes away if driving by car.

We've always had a commute, too. It just would be nice to lessen something, lol.

funhappymom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Quoting Marz31:

Well, I live less than 5 miles from my office and DH is at about 15 miles, but that's the job he got after his job in the big city nearby (he rode the bus to) was gone. I'd never consider moving to be closer to his job, it only takes about 20-25 minutes for him to get there and it can take me 15 to get to mine if I hit all the lights wrong. Overall, we have short commutes. BUT if I felt secure in my job and lived further away, I'd consider moving closer. In our area, you just have to plant yourself and hope you can find something a reasonable distance from where that is.

That's how it is here, too. His job is stable for now but there has been talk about his store closing. It's one of the reason why we don't want to make a move to just get closer to his work. Or at least one of my reasons, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN