Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What a week! Update

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

Things have been hectic this week, the girls have been rowdy, I have been behind on homework, and to top it all off our lab shepherd had to go to the vet today.  Apparently he ate a rabbit that had a parasite, and is going through puberty and has developed food sensitivities, meaning now we need to get him separate dog food from our older dog.  He weighs sixty eight pounds and stands about three feet tall.  Vet said once he gets better and starts growing he should be double his size by the time he is full grown O.o

Update: Well the dog has started to look better and fill out some already.  I can't see his ribs as much, and his hip bones are not as pronounced.  His fur looks a bit nicer too, and DH said he is using his "scary dog" bark to run people off again lol.  The vet and food may have cost us, but it was worth it for him to improve so quickly. He has to finish his medicine, and so far the new food is sitting well with him.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Wow. I have a dog with food allergies, too. Food is expensive for her!
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting deccaf:

We found one that is $35 for a 40 pound bag.  He goes through about 15 pounds a week.  The hardest part is finding corn free, because the vet though that was most likely the problem.  That was the cheapest one we could find :/  Bonus is we should be able to feed them both the same food if we can stick with that brand, instead of having completely different types of food. That will cut our food bill for them somewhat, otherwise it would be over $100 for both dogs every month.

CafeMom Tickers
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Yes. Both dogs eat the same food. We use natural balance limited ingredient. It seems to do great.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting deccaf:

We found one that is $35 for a 40 pound bag.  He goes through about 15 pounds a week.  The hardest part is finding corn free, because the vet though that was most likely the problem.  That was the cheapest one we could find :/  Bonus is we should be able to feed them both the same food if we can stick with that brand, instead of having completely different types of food. That will cut our food bill for them somewhat, otherwise it would be over $100 for both dogs every month.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

We don't have that brand here I don't think.  There are other choices if what we got doesn't work, but they are more expensive.  I think DH said he saw the wild blue brand that is supposed to mirror a wolf's natural diet, we have a friend who swears by it for her big dogs, that would be our next choice over the science diet or eukanuba the vet recommended I think.

Quoting deccaf:

Yes. Both dogs eat the same food. We use natural balance limited ingredient. It seems to do great.

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting deccaf:

CafeMom Tickers
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I hope your dog is ok. It's crazy that he got sick from eating a rabbit.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

I hope your dog is ok. It's crazy that he got sick from eating a rabbit.

It had a parasite which isn't surprising considering that we live in a fairly rural area.  Most wild animals have diseases or parasites.  Vet said the medicine should really kick in in about seven to ten days.

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Bump for update :)

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Glad your dog is getting better already. We use Natural Choice dog food for my pug. He's been on it since he was a puppy and he's now on the senior formula.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

it's crazy how much their food can affect them and how quickly it can turn around!

flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I'm glad puppy is on the mend
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)