Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Have you ever taken a sick day...

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 32 Replies

Have you ever taken a sick day just because?

My house could use a good cleaning and I've been considering taking a sick day just to clean. I won't though because I'll feel guilty but it should sounds good, lol.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Yes. I never used to but I never got sick so I saw a lot of days go to waste that others took off. I used all mine last year. This job doesn't seperate them...they are just pto so I can be honest ;)
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Before DS I would every once in a while. Now I use them for him.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM

No, not yet.  I may when school is done, or when I have some sick/vacation built up.

littlesheep
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM
No.

I worked literally WHILE I was having a miscarriage. I only took off an hour to see my doctor the very earliest appointment twice for the same thing.

I have two weeks paid vacation.
JessiFaye
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Yes. Every now and then, I just need a day.

lilbit53009
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

i've used vacation time for that...but it's scheduled ahead of time

i'm salary so my "sick days" are just built into my time and are used if i need to take a day off unexpected...so i only take those when i'm really sick or have to keep my son home because he's sick

CrystalYaris
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

This girl is guilty right here! lol I had a week's worth of PTO hours saved up and only used 3 days of it to spend time with son and do fun things - go to the zoo, visit family, etc. I woke up one morning and was like, "Yeah.. I'm not going to work today." They automatically take out PTO when you call out. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a day just for me. Took my son to daycare, cleaned the house, took a nap and did some grocery shopping alone then picked him up from daycare earlier than usual - I figured since I pay for an entire week whether he is there or not, he could have fun playing with other kids and not go behind me destroying everything I cleaned as I was doing it. Did I feel guilty about that- YES.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Ha! I barely get time off when I have a sick kid or pink eye. Like I'd be able to get time off for just 'cause? Depressing, really.
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I did when I was a teacher.  I had a set number of sick days to use, and I made use of them sick or not.  Sometimes I just needed a day to get away from it all.

Now that I've been working fill time from home for the past nearly 6 years I find that I'm less willing to take sick days even though at my current (for 5 more work days!) job has unlimited, paid sick days.  Maybe it has more to do with how much I do or don't enjoy my work, lol.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Nah!  Absolutely nothing to feel guilty about here!

Quoting CrystalYaris:

This girl is guilty right here! lol I had a week's worth of PTO hours saved up and only used 3 days of it to spend time with son and do fun things - go to the zoo, visit family, etc. I woke up one morning and was like, "Yeah.. I'm not going to work today." They automatically take out PTO when you call out. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a day just for me. Took my son to daycare, cleaned the house, took a nap and did some grocery shopping alone then picked him up from daycare earlier than usual - I figured since I pay for an entire week whether he is there or not, he could have fun playing with other kids and not go behind me destroying everything I cleaned as I was doing it. Did I feel guilty about that- YES.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)