Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Yes, I bribed her...

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

DD is still nervous about getting in trouble during karate, so she didn't want to participate last class.  I bribed her with jelly beans.  The owner's wife went out and did it with her, and she did fine.  So tonight, she has karate again, and I may end up bribing her again.

Have you ever had to bribe your kids to do something they like but may not want to do at that moment?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. Earlier this week, my son insisted it was pajama day at school. I just got a letter saying pajama day was next week, so I didn't want to send him to school in pjs. He was adamant. I was pretty sure he wasn't right. We were running late for school and I had neither time nor energy to put up with a blow out, so I bet him five bucks it wasn't pajama day. He wore his regular clothes without a hitch, we got to school, and what do you know, it was pajama day. 

Apparently there are two pajama days. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Oops.  At least he got 5 bucks!

Quoting mickstinator:

Yep. Earlier this week, my son insisted it was pajama day at school. I just got a letter saying pajama day was next week, so I didn't want to send him to school in pjs. He was adamant. I was pretty sure he wasn't right. We were running late for school and I had neither time nor energy to put up with a blow out, so I bet him five bucks it wasn't pajama day. He wore his regular clothes without a hitch, we got to school, and what do you know, it was pajama day. 

mickstinator
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I was pretty surprised! How did I know about one and not the other? Oh, well. We were already going to Toys R Us after school to spend some of his allowance, so his limit was just raised by five. He got a pretty rad Lego set. ; )

Quoting deccaf:

Oops.  At least he got 5 bucks!

Quoting mickstinator:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Oh yeah. Bribery works wonders, at least while they're little.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I bribe with "screen" time all the time!
rissarin
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I bribe all the time. A necessary evil sometimes. I actually just bribed my daughter with McDonald's on Tuesday. She said she didn't want to go to dance and started whining, so I told her if she was good at dance and stopped whining we'd get McDonalds afterward. It worked. Haha.
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I do it quite frequently with DS. Last night I had to bribe him with a freezer pop to get him into the house. He was playing with the little girls next door and kept refusing to go inside even after the little girls went inside for the night.

flutter523
by Tracy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I'm not above bribing from time to time.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
ha! he is five dollars richer.

Quoting mickstinator:

12crazykids
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Basically, everything in life works that way anyways...you do something to get something.  Isn't that why most of us go to work...for the paycheck?  That's kind of like a bribe isn't it?

I don't think any parent has screwed thier kid up by bribing them.  You do what you gotta do. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)