Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

PM Phone Calls

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 23 Replies

If it's a weekday, and you get a call from family members or friends in the PM, do you pick it up to chat, or do you let it go into voicemail and call back at a time in the next day or two when it is more convenient for you?

For me, I hate it when people call me on a weekday evening.  I'm usually super exhausted after working at a demanding job all day, and then when I get home, I usually have to get ready to haul the kids around to their sports practice or game.  So, when I get home from these extracurricular activities, I am drained of all energy, and then have to eat and tackle a few small chores to get ready for the next day.

Today, one of my sisters called me around 9 pm which is totally late for me.  I did not pick up.  This sister can talk for an hour non-stop and barely lets me get in a word edge-wise.  The conversations are always lop-sided like that.  I definitely did not want to have to deal with that tonight.  

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christaberk
by Christa on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:59 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the time. To be honest, the only time I have a chance to talk to my sister or my dad is while I'm driving to and from work. To, not so much because it's too early. But I talk to my sister during my afternoon commute.

Otherwise if I answer the phone, I keep it short.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WonderWomanSV
by Stacey on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:14 AM
It depends on my mood and level of exhaustion. I don't usually get calls after 8pm. But sometimes during dinner I'll get calls. My sister will usually text if its important.
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM

It really depends on how I'm feeling and who it is. I'll answer whenever my dad calls but my mom is another story. She usually spends our time talking about my niece and nephews, whatever game she's playing at the moment, her cats or my brother. She rarely asks about DS :(

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

It depends on the time, my mood, what I'm doing and how tired I am.  If I know it'll be a quick conversation, I'll pick up.  However, if it's a friend I don't pick up because I KNOW it'll be at least an hour of conversation when all I want to do at that point is sit and wind down.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I don't answer. Just like you I don't like weekday calls, because too busy and tired.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Um, yea, my friends and family know they will pretty much be ignored often when they call, lol, this extends to my weekends as well. Most ofthrn understand though.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No one calls me unless it's important, so I answer if I'm available. Usually they text or email because they know my schedule is all weird.

DH has asked his dad many many MANY times to not call after 9 pm, but he regularly (Tuesdays and Sundays) calls around 9:30 just to chat. Drives DH crazy. And me too, for that matter. I think it's the fact that FIL is blatantly disregarding DH's request.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I answer.  My family will usually only call when something is going on.  I call them once a week for chatting and catching up, so if I get a call mid-week, it's important.

mickstinator
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

If I can pick up, I pick up. If I can't, then I don't feel bad letting it go to voicemail. I don't get annoyed either way. If they call too late, I just don't answer. I usually have my phone in the other room anyway so I totally miss the call without knowing it.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Our family texts ;). The only time the phone rings is if we are texting too much in the moment
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)