Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Your SO's opinion of WOH or WAH?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 42 Replies
So I am hanging out at home lately with the new babe. I grade papers and school things stuff on-line, but as a whole I am mostly a SAHM temporarily.

DH has stated on multiple occasions (recently when he woke up to homemade muffins), "I wish I could make enough money, you could just do this all the time" soooooooo, I know some of us choose to work, some of must work, some us it's a little of both, BUT

If the only factor was your SO's opinion, would he/she want you to be a SAHM?
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
He would want us to be independently wealthy so we could both not work, LOL.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Haha, mine would probably be ok with that too!

Quoting the3Rs:

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This goes without saying! LOL!

DH would want me to be SAHM. It's been a sore spot between us because I stayed home until DD was 19 months old before going back to work.  I missed working and having something of my own and I felt completely isolated and was depressed at home.  He didn't understand that or the feeling of helplessness and despair I sometimes had. 

Quoting the3Rs:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Oh, that is tough, it's probably so hard to understand until you have been there!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

DH would want me to be SAHM. It's been a sore spot between us because I stayed home until DD was 19 months old before going back to work.  I missed working and having something of my own and I felt completely isolated and was depressed at home.  He didn't understand that or the feeling of helplessness and despair I sometimes had. 

Quoting the3Rs:

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Seriously though, the one year that I actually was a SAHM was an awesome year. He felt good being the provider for once, I loved not working (though I did occasionally sub). But we realized I needed to work to pay off debt & ultimately I am the higher wage earner, so it was only that one year that I didn't work.

I know he wishes I could be a SAHM but it's just not in the cards.
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

DH and I both would like for me to be a sahm but it's not something we can afford right now.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM

It is hard to understand unless you've been there!  DH though thinks being a SAHM mom is a piece of cake and that you are living a relaxed life.  One day at home with DD and he complains! 

I liked spending time with DD, but I didn't like the fact that I felt like I had no other outlet and was isolated despite us living in a big city.  I felt like I had lost my identity and it was rough - especially since I was home by myself all day, every day while DH was away in training.  It was just a different experience for me and hard since most SAHM have someone that comes home at the end of the day and I didn't at the time. 

Ideally, I would work part-time.

Quoting Marti123:

Oh, that is tough, it's probably so hard to understand until you have been there!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting the3Rs:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Probably.  But I would not do that.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Well this, obviously! :)

But in real life, DH knows that I would go crazy being a SAHM. I really admire the moms who do it and stay sane. I can't do it. I went nuts on maternity leave and went back to work sooner than originally planned. I wish I had a cleaner house and had more time in the evenings to cook a better supper....but SAHM is not the life for me. Now, DH on the other hand would be an AWESOME sahd. 

Quoting the3Rs:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
This sums us up as well. Except, I have never been a SAHM ever. I 'think' I would greatly enjoy it though.

Quoting the3Rs:

Seriously though, the one year that I actually was a SAHM was an awesome year. He felt good being the provider for once, I loved not working (though I did occasionally sub). But we realized I needed to work to pay off debt & ultimately I am the higher wage earner, so it was only that one year that I didn't work.

I know he wishes I could be a SAHM but it's just not in the cards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN